Did you mean: 

If you aren't paranoid about your personal information perhaps you should be

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

If you aren't paranoid about your personal information perhaps you should be

22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: If you aren't paranoid about your personal information perhaps you should be

I don't have any of my internet accounts linked up to any other account. I also rarely reveal my usernames on other sites etc.
Some people think they're far too safe online  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Re: If you aren't paranoid about your personal information perhaps you should be

It reads like a film script.
Eventually security procedures have to catch up with the vast amount of personal information out there.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

What a story.  It really makes you worry. It seems so easy doesn't it Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you are daft enough to use programs like twitter and face book then you deserve it.
Use common sense (& Linux) and you will avoid most of these problems !  Smiley
JamesM
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
If you are daft enough to use programs like twitter and face book then you deserve it.

What a moronic thing to say, people deserve being hacked because they like to keep in touch through facebook. Pull your head in gleneagles, I know a lot of people that use facebook and you are calling them "daft", do me a favour and keep your idiotic comments to yourself. I sometimes wonder how people like you can actually work computers.
IanSn
Grafter

Actually you have to thank people like 'Phobia'.
For those who can only say, in response to privacy issues, 'Oh, I've got nothing to hide', this is a wake-up call.
There are real issues and most people are oblivious. Many of these internet companies are running almost blindly into problems because its the latest fad in the reckless pursuit of 'social' marketing and ad revenue. (Check the freelance job ads on the internet looking for SEO black-hatters - its frantic.)
Apple already have issues with hacked iTunes/creditcard accounts. (116 pages and counting of complaints on their 'communities' forum. 18 months, nothing has been done - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2665383)
I got the creeps a while back after checking out 'Spotify' - they already had my Facebook log-in because I linked to them from there.
Then the app you download to your computer also automatically contains this info.
After a few mailouts from Spotify telling me about a 'new seamless social experience' with even more integration I intuitively got the heebie-jeebies and jumped, deleted the app, and changed the email/password on Facebook.
Point being, the Wired writer made mistakes ('daisy-chained' accounts), but its a 'mistake' they encourage us to make.
I read the other day that the new MacOS 'Mountain Lion' is going to be cloud-based, many applications working from there instead of on your computer. Do we know how safe that is?
It'll take people like Phobia to find out for us.
To what extent can you opt out of this?
You can't really opt out of Google or Amazon. (If you block Amazon (EC2 etc.) and Google IP addresses on your firewall - yes, I've tried it! - the whole internet just doesn't work, pages fail, links don't work, etc.)
There's a large element of truth in Gleneagles' comment. Wise if you can live without FB, etc.
But opting out into Linux isn't going to save you if you don't really understand what monetizing the internet is all about.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I also don't use Facebook because of its intrusive techniques and poor history on privacy.  Using Ghostery quickley illustrates the level of tracking that goes on during web browsing.  Even Plus Net uses Google Analytics on this web page.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

The 'phobia' of the article does seem a bit naïve in that he has daisy-chained his various accounts together, only needs one flaw in his security and the whole house came down.
I did meet a post phd academic who reckoned she had her whole life history posted on facebook, scientific journals, publications, field notes. She thought she was being clever in that when it came time for her to write her biography it was sequentially recorded and documented by facebook already.
I asked a question. Often the purpose of writing a biography is to generate income, doesn’t posting on facebook hand over the copyright of that data to facebook?,…………..simple question which I didn’t get an answer.
Does anyone know?
JamesM
Grafter

@ journeys
"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

JamesM
Grafter

There's a large element of truth in Gleneagles' comment. Wise if you can live without FB, etc

What a load of tosh,
You leave a digital fingerprint everytime you use your mobile phone, everytime you go on your computer, everytime you wifi your xbox or playstation, everytime you use a card to pay for things, on line or not, the list goes on.  If a hacker wants in, it doesn't matter what you do.
Community Veteran

@JamesM:- Thank you
Community Veteran

The simple solution is not to provide any info that you would not like in the public domain. Not much you can do if you use websites that harvest your details.
JamesM
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
The simple solution is not to provide any info that you would not like in the public domain. Not much you can do if you use websites that harvest your details.

Plusnet has all your details, name, address, credit card, debit card details. Facebook, twitter, Amazon, Google, Plusnet. It doesn't make a differemce. So what people are saying is I am safe as long as I don't use facebook or other social networking sites. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Community Veteran

Of course PN has my details, they have to have legally I believe.  They also need them to take my monthly direct debit payments.  Likewise, if I want to deal with Amazon I have to share my info with them. I do not have to share info with facebook or Twitter and don't do so. You have to understand the difference.