cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you are buying from Comet this weekend...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you are buying from Comet this weekend...

Make sure any purchase is via your credit card to obtain buyer protection. A BBC news report shows them in money troubles.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
43 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: If you are buying from Comet this weekend...

To be honest I don't think it will be a great loss.
They aren't particularly competitive. In fact, you often find there is no discernible difference between Comet and Currys/PCWorld.
I have found, however, from personal experience that they will bend over backwards to make things as difficult as possible to rectify faults or other issues a customer may have often showing high disregard for the SoG act.
I did work for them for three months in 2007 - quite an eye opener!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The news report said that Comet employs over 6,000 and that it was taken over by an "investment group" for £2 a few months ago... This time last year, our "local" store was revamped with an upper floor and escalators,... looked very "swish" when finished... got our gas cooker, and washing machine from them.... ( fully paid up ) they did a better deal than Currys for same models... !..  including the delivery and fitting charges..
Shame they may go to the wall, it will mean that Currys/Pcworld will have the monopoly ... The investment group will sell off the property and make a few bob, on the backs of the workers who will lose their jobs...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

We bought a dyson from them a few years ago for £330 I think it was. This was in December and I specifically asked the woman if it would be cheaper in January. No she told me, we don't do Janury sales (odd as they did every other year). Anyway we bought the thing and what happened in January? - Big price drop down to something like £270 iirc. I was absolutely furious.
Livid is not the word. I unleashed pure evil on the phone to their customer services HQ who immediately saw sense and gave us back the difference claiming it to be part of their price promise thing. In fairness the price promise was all over the walls on big signs but I was livid that the sales woman lied in the first place. We've not used them since.
PCWorld also upset me too over a device that dropped dead. Took it back just seven days over the year and they didn't want anything to do with it - regardless of the SoG. I hung in there and 1hr 20 mins later they caved in and gave me back the full amount.
What have I learned from it all? Big retailers don't give a damn about the little guy OR the SoG act. You're all well and good if they have one of these price promise / no quibble refund / fault policies but you still have to watch your back because they'll still look for any excuse. Strangely I always preferred Comet over Currys until the dyson incident.
Currys I've never had much grief with, bought something from them a while back that I didn't like and they were more than happy to take it back with no quibbles at all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Buying from an online retailer is now so quick and easy that high street retailers like Comet have to be a dying breed.
The advantages the likes of Comet have of course are you can see and touch the object before buying and you can speak to someone face to face if you have a problem.
But money talks and if better deals are available online...........
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation

Have to agree with you there, Strat.
What I often do is visit the store to view, touch/handle the goods then see if they can match an online price (retailers usually match their own online prices). If they can't/won't match then I simply go home and purchase online.
Of course, there is the bonus that if you purchase on line you have 7 days starting the day after delivery to reject the goods. This doesn't count if you've been in the store to view the goods beforehand but how can they prove you did?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

In the past I've viewed items on a high street retailer's website and found a good deal.
I have then gone into the store to make the purchase only to be told "it's an online deal only".
But it's the same company.......isn't it Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Sky News last night was advising anyone with Comet gift vouchers to spend them in store for goods that they can take away with them ASAP.
Radio news just now says that problems have come now due to loss of confidence among suppliers who have (understandably) been requiring payment up front for goods. So Comet could not afford to hold the level of stock it would require for the busy Christmas period.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

No point in having that extended warranty then (not that I buy them anyway).

That was one of my bug bears with Comet when I worked for them.
They wanted me to push extended warranties to all customers, even those who didn't need them (which was basically everyone), and I refused.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Strat
Buying from an online retailer is now so quick and easy that high street retailers like Comet have to be a dying breed.
The advantages the likes of Comet have of course are you can see and touch the object before buying and you can speak to someone face to face if you have a problem.
But money talks and if better deals are available online...........
Good example the other day, went to B & Q for some Fernox or Sentinel, shelf was empty where it should have been. Asked one of the staff if they had any in stock and was told "If it's not on the shelf we don't have any". Called at Wick's and they did not stock it as they had their own product.
Went home and ordered it over the internet, not only was it cheaper it was post free.
I Can see a number of other stores going the same way as Comet.
Community Veteran

Pity they lost their way and became just another big store.
I remember what an eye opener they were when they first opened. A small display of wares under glass with boxes piled up all around the walls, and much cheaper prices than anywhere else.
Now they wouldn't even be missed.
Community Veteran

Shame, my local Comet actually had staff that gave a damn and gave reasonable advice on purchases.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
That was one of my bug bears with Comet when I worked for them.
They wanted me to push extended warranties to all customers, even those who didn't need them (which was basically everyone), and I refused.

Yes i remember the hard sell when we bought the tv from comet too. Bloke kept saying we needed it as it covered us for 3 years i think he said. Strange thing was he'd just been telling us how superior these new flatscreen TVs are to old CRT TVs and how much more reliable they were etc.
CRT TV lasted 8 years before the tube gave up. Flatscreen being more reliable should last longer then right?
He didn't like me  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kdoug007
Grafter

emm its  easy  to say  ,,  folk  buy on line...  but if  ya  paying  EG... £800  I  DO PREFERE TO LOOK AT THE  PRODUCT  RATHER  THAN    JUST    VIEW A  PICTURE ON LINE    FIRST