cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If there is a wrong way to do something....

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

If there is a wrong way to do something....

......then someone will do it.

A terribly tragic story here, but what was this guy thinking and moreover, why was Apple being asked to comment?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
30 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: If there is a wrong way to do something....

Ah capacitive dropper power supplies, not isolated from the mains and can quite easily kill if misused, but in this case, it's just sheer stupidity that they didn't understand that water and electricity don't mix, especially when resting a mains extension socket on your chest while in the bath... Crazy2

Evolution; Weeding out the stupid one by one...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not a mistake he will repeat again.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

I am amazed, but not surprised - evolution seems to be going backwards. I've known you don't mix water and electricity for as long as I can remember - and in the past, electrical devices didn't come with safety advice that took up 95% of the operating instructions.

John
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, don't you just love the warnings on everything: Packets of nuts have a warning that they may contain nuts, ready meals have a warning that the contents may be hot after being heated in the microwave oven etc.  Mind the gap, mind the step, slippery when wet, avoid card-clash, and my favourite: "Hastily rushing may cause accidents."  Is there a way of rushing unhastily?

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Jonpe wrote:

Is there a way of rushing unhastily?

There must be. The Latin adage "festina lente" advises one to hasten slowly. 

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

it's just sheer stupidity that they didn't understand that water and electricity don't mix

Sensible advice but it's not entirely true! Okay I might be nit picking for fun but if we take ordinary distilled water for example it doesn't conduct electricity at all and is actually a good insulator of electricity.

However as the concentration of dissolved salts and minerals increase for example in ground water or hard water areas the levels of ions increase and so with it does the conductivity. I learned all that at school Smiley

Would I throw my toaster in a bath of distilled water to test this theory? Nope, I haven't got a bath. Crazy2

Minivanman
Hero

Not a theory I would care to test, even though it's true!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

MKSlinky wrote:

Sensible advice but it's not entirely true! Okay I might be nit picking for fun but if we take ordinary distilled water for example it doesn't conduct electricity at all and is actually a good insulator of electricity.

However as the concentration of dissolved salts and minerals increase for example in ground water or hard water areas the levels of ions increase and so with it does the conductivity. I learned all that at school Smiley

Would I throw my toaster in a bath of distilled water to test this theory? Nope, I haven't got a bath. Crazy2

That is true, and it's why it's used in water cooling in PCs, aswell as a requirement for topping up wet-cell batteries (the minerals would cause problems and kill the cells off), but the average joe doesn't have distilled on tap, so the meaning of "water" is usually that which comes from the pipes... Smiley

As for testing distilled with mains electricity, I'm not entirely sure or not as it's been a while since I saw the episode, but I think it was tested on Mythbusters, as they were seeing how it was possible to be killed in the bath with electrical devices being thrown or knocked into the water with the occupant, and with most of the tests (straight tap water, water with soap, water with bath salts (no, not the drugs, the actual bathing salts!) and water with simulated wee, cos there are those out there who pee in the bath!) ended up with the occupant, a ballistics gel dummy, receiving enough electricity across the heart area to kill a human... Shocked

But suffice to say, keep mains electricity out of the bathroom, except for lighting, which is usually isolated, out of reach and sealed anyway... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

All of this brings back some rotten memories for me from when, as a twelve year old, my step dad ran an extension lead into our bathroom and plugged a table lamp into it. Not sure why, but probably because the main light was not working for some reason.

Anyways they were off out leaving me to babysit my two much younger half siblings (they would do that back in the 50s) and I decided to have a bath.... I guess you know where this is going!  After getting in the bath I decided to kneel up and move the lamp out of the way as I thought it was too close to the water and the next thing I remember is floating in the air and finishing up on the floor clutching the lamp unable to let go of it because of the electric current running through me. As it happened my mum and step dad  were just going out of the front door on the way to the pub when they heard a big thump - which was me hitting the floor. After running upstairs they then had a job getting the bathroom door open because I was stuck behind it but fortunately they did because the lamp was pulled from my grasp.

All ended well of course apart from a scorched chest and the doctor reckoning I must have had a strong heart to have survived and of course, I could just as easily been thrown back into the bath as out. My step dad never accepted he was at fault and for years only reminded me that he had told me not to touch it, an instruction I do not remember although I do remember even at that age not thinking it was a good idea to have a lamp in there.

I avoided going into the bathroom for months after that as it scared the Jesus out of me and would only wash in the kitchen or the outhouse. 

Shocking eh? 

PS. Of all the times we have nearly been killed - known and unknown, and for me this was just one of many. Subject for another topic maybe! 

Community Veteran

With all these ads banging on about how waterproof various phones are I guess it never occurred to him that it didn't apply to the charger.

Minivanman
Hero

Or that it plugs into 240v wall socket.

You can lead a horse to water..... but not a mains charger.

Fixes: 47

I've had a great many electric shocks over the years messing about with electronics that I got to the point where to test if something was live I would flick my finger across it if a test meter wasn't to hand.

The nearest I get to mains electric in the bathroom is the electric shower.

I installed it a number of years ago and followed the installation procedure strictly by the book.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Minivanman
Hero

The worst shock I had (apart from the one mentioned) was leaning in to the back of a television I was trying to repair and getting a 24kv belt from the CRT. Luckily(?) my arm was bent so electricity wanting to go in a straight line the charge went from by wrist, out of my elbow and onto the chassis leaving me with a nice little burn spot. I know, I should have known better but, it did wake me up!

The other things we had to watch out for was when changing the said tube because they are effectively a huge capacitor so even fresh out of the box that CRT can carry jolt big enough to make you drop the thing so they had to be discharged first.

Whoever first said we live and learn had no idea what he was talking about Crazy2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We had an old electric washing machine which broke, replaced the timer bit and a week later the pump went, replaced that and within weeks there was water on the kitchen floor, rubber seal around the drum had split, changed that but on the next wash there was an odd smell of burning so clearly not fitted correctly, at the time I was busy with other stuff and in my haste to get the job done failed to unplug the machine, hand touched the terminals and I was stuck to the machine, only weight of my body got my hand released.

That was a lesson, learnt the hard way, never have I ever rushed any future electrical job even going to the other extreem and switching it off at the mains and even then using a electricians screwdriver that lights up if the mains is live.

Next day I ordered a new washer....trying to save a few pounds could have cost me my life, not that I saved anything money wise, the other lesson learnt is that most of the parts in modern goods are designed to fail after a certain period so replace one thing and something else packs in.