cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You're Knocked Out..................

Community Veteran

If You're Knocked Out..................

Is it common or normal not to remember the few seconds or so before?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: If You're Knocked Out..................

Dunno,,...... can`t remember...  Grin Grin
Community Veteran

I should have expected that............... Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it can be,
but it normally means a (slight) concussion has occurred that's caused some amnesia, which may or may not be permanent.
on the other hand if your old it could just be the dementia kicking in  Wink
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Fixes: 123

I was involved in a bicycle accident when I was 14. I vividly remember waving to my parents from just outside the house then next thing I remember is waking up in hospital the next morning. I have no memory of what happened in between. I did once, a few days after the incident, have a dream that my dad was leaning over me while I was laying on my back telling me I will be OK - other than that, nothing. No witnesses ever came forward just a lady who saw me in the road and alerted my parents.
I was missing some skin off my shoulder, needed some stitches under my right eye and some bad bruising and grazes to my hands and arms. Luckily I was still able to go on the school trip to Belgium a few weeks after.
I do remember thinking 'have I died and gone to heaven?" when I woke in the hospital bed and saw white curtains around me with a nurse in white standing by and some flowers in a vase on the table by the side  Cheesy Roll eyes

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

"nurse in white"  where in the world were you?
nanotm
Pro

sounds like quite a serious concussion with permanent amnesia then,
the cause of it could be that the trauma was so horrific your brain has locked off the memories during your recovery time so as to aid your recovery and prevent you from being a quivering wreck for your entire life, I know of several people who's memories have huge gaps in the them because of events that unfolded and them effectively blocking off those memories in order to retain their relative sanity ..... of course that's the more dangerous type of amnesia because something can trigger the memories to replay and lurch you into a gibbering wreck in the corner...... since you've managed to get through this much life without that happening to you chances are your brain whilst recovering from the injuries formatted the neural blocks that held the data of the accident.....

Quote from: artificer
"nurse in white"  where in the world were you?
London.
I was recounting as I perceived it all those years ago. It was probably a radiologist or doctor Undecided
I do remember her saying "You are in hospital. Your mum and dad will be here soon". I don't remember asking.
Sometimes I wish I knew what happened: was I hit by a car, did I black out, was I attacked?
Quote from: nanotm
... in order to retain their relative sanity ...
Well that never worked, then Grin Grin Grin

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

When I was about 4 or 5 I was riding downhill on one of them kids ride-on toy things (they claimed it was a car, cos it had 4 wheels and a steering wheel, which wasn't much use), and there was a crash barrier at the bottom of the street, I remember heading for it, then the next thing I remember was lying on my back and crying with no recollection of what had happened, then a big ol' blank and the next thing was I was in Burnleh General hospital, it was obvious what had happened, but yeah, brain had blacked out the parts where I hit the barrier and when I passed out and woke in hospital... Huh
Infact, that's the barrier there:
http://tinyurl.com/myt58mv
I wonder if it's still got my headprint in it... Grin
Community Veteran

If the accident was caused by a blackout prior to it happening then that could explain the lack of knowledge of what had happened.

I have since had scans to check for epilepsy and other anomalies but nothing showed up.
I forgot to mention that, apparently, when I was found the bike was on top of me.
Personnally I think I am more scared of knowing than not knowing what happened.
Some 7 years later I had another accident but on a motor bike when a woman in an MG pulled out from a side road in front of me. I bounced off her roof and on to the road. Thankfully I had been slowing as I was approaching traffic lights. I landed on my shoulder, again, but I was lucky with no serious damage although the bike was a right-off.
It never put me of cycling, though, and back in the early 80's I frequently cycled into the centre of London for work. I haven't ridden a motorbike since apart from once soon after the accident just to ensure I wasn't afraid to.

Community Veteran

Why I asked was......
I got up in the middle of the night, for the usual reason.
I remember standing in front of the toilet and the next thing I knew I was looking at the toilet from floor level. Wondering how I got there.
Staggering down the stairs I looked in the mirror to see blood running down my face.
I convinced myself that the pains I felt must have been a heart attack and not the spicy chicken I had for dinner.
Numerous blood tests, blood pressure tests, x-ray, and tachycardia tests proved this wasn't the case and that I was classed as fit and healthy.
Apart from a couple of lumps on my head, gashed eyebrow, and a large bruise in my side.
A bit of memory seems to have returned as I now remember standing at the loo and then finally turning away.
When I returned home I noticed the loo mat was rucked up on one side so it looks like I turned and tripped up on the mat.
So it looks like just an accident by a clumsy git who should turn the light on if they use the loo at night.
nanotm
Pro

simpler answer to that bnb, get rid of the mat in the loo, no point ruing the ability to get back to sleep by turning the light on ....
sounds like a mild concussion with temporary amnesia and its perfectly "normal" for it to occur with any bump to the head
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it's quite common with any serious jolt to the head, the longer the period of amnesia the more serious it's likely to be, examples of short term memory loss for a few seconds can be seen during a boxing match where someone is knocked out