cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If You Need A Prescription DON'T Live In England

geoffp0
Grafter

If You Need A Prescription DON'T Live In England

From today, only the English have to pay for prescriptions (and no, that's not an April Fool's joke!) 
English patients will be charged £7.40 for every item prescribed – an increase of 20p – but Scotland today joins Wales and Northern Ireland in abolishing the charges Cry.
64 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: If You Need A Prescription DON'T Live In England

According to the news I heard even in England 90% are free anyway.
nadger
Rising Star

If you can't be good be careful  Roll eyes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-12926180
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: HPsauce
According to the news I heard even in England 90% are free anyway.

I Find that hard to believe but have no facts to dispute it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I can't find the facts but this indicates it must be a large proportion - I have bolded the main headings
http://www.helium.com/items/1714858-who-gets-free-prescriptions
The National Health Service in England currently charges £7.20 for each different medicine prescribed on an NHS prescription. (January 2009).  Different rules apply elsewhere in the United Kingdom. A large proportion of patients qualify for free prescriptions, although many people do not realise that they can have their medication free of charge.
Age Exemption
Children aged 15 and under and any patient aged 60 and over, automatically get free prescriptions.  Children, who are 16, 17 or 18 and still studying in full-time education, also qualify.  Exemption is declared by ticking the relevant box on the back of the prescription and signing the declaration at the bottom.
Maternity Exemption
Pregnant ladies qualify for free prescriptions throughout their pregnancy and for 12 months after their baby is born.  The necessary paperwork has to be completed by a Doctor or Midwives, and is then posted off. The lady will receive an exemption certificate through the post, which should be shown to the dispensing pharmacy with each prescription.
Medical Exemption
Some patients require medication continuously, and some have been designated as qualifying for free prescriptions.  Unfortunately this list does not cover every serious illness, but it has just been extended to cover cancer treatment. 
War Pension Exemption
Patients who have been invalided out of the armed services can have free prescriptions but only to treat the condtion for which they havea war pension.
Contraceptives
All NHS prescriptions for contraceptive tablets and devices are free of charge.
Benefits Categories:
Patients may qualify if they or their partner receive certain benefits including Income-Support, Income-related Support Allowance, and Income-based Jobseekers allowance or if they are in possession of a Tax Credit Exemption Certificate or Pensions credit Guarantee Credit.  This is always a difficult area as many patients are not sure of which benefit they actually receive.  It is necessary to take some form of proof to the pharmacy so they can assess entitlement.
HC2 Certificate
Many patients do not receive the qualifying benefits but will still have financial difficulty in paying for their prescriptions.  They will need to obtain a HC1 booklet from the DSS or pharmacy and fill in the details about their income and expenditure.  This is then sent to the DSS and if the patient is deemed to be living on a low income they will be sent a HC2 form which entitles them to free prescriptions and also help with other NHS charges.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Ref the HC2 Certificate:
It doesn't only offer "free prescriptions " it may just offer reduced cost ones or partial payments for things like Dentists etc. Last year it offered me a maximum payment of £16 for dental treatment but prescriptions were still full price, but this year it is free for me & my wife. I also get free prescriptions anyway being a type 2 diabetic but with this we both got free ones - just like from today here in Scotland.  Wink
Community Veteran

I've commented on this subject before.  Clearly the government allocation of funding is out of kilter, if some regions of the UK can fund this sort of thing, while others are making swathing cuts in public services.
It's not as if the Conservatives are currying favour with their core vote north of theborder  Undecided (they haven't got one)
John
Fixes: 105

Grant them true independence, the welsh as well and England will be able to afford free prescriptions and no doubt the newly independent countries would struggle.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

No they wouldn't - they'd be kept going by grants from the EU (and guess where the EU money would come from  Roll eyes)
tinto
Grafter

@ hulls & adiewoo
.  If you'd happened to be watching BBC news at 6pm this evening you'd have seen how England has walk in clinics for minor injuries, and faster consultations for suspected cancer patients, just two things that we in Scotland don't have.  I'm not complaining about that, It's all down to a thing called devolution,  where the administrations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland set their own spending priorities,and not just on health spending.
For what it's worth, the same report claimed that 90% of English prescription are free.
Community Veteran

.  If you'd happened to be watching BBC news at 6pm this evening
I was not watching it, I was at work earning money so I can pay for my prescriptions, eye tests and dental treatment and those of all the sponging bastards in England and contribute to prescriptions for all the  Irish Welsh and Scots, Do I seem pissed off? You're damned right I am.
Community Veteran

If you live in England, and you feel that your prescription charges are over 3 months going to exceed £29.10 (that's less than 4 items) or over 1 year going to exceed £104 (that's 14 and tiny bit items) then you should sign up for prescription prepayment certificate, for the annual one, they even allow you to pay in 10 monthly payments.  Suddenly prescription charges don't look so bad.
Community Veteran

So £104 per year as opposed to nothing - doesn't seem so bad?  Crazy
Tinto are you telling me that Scotland doesn't have A&E at hospitals (where I understand parking is free in Scotland as opposed to a minimum charge of £3 in England)
tinto
Grafter

@Hulls, you still don't seem to get it, as I said before, it's a matter of choice, and may I gently point out that on the subject of prescription charges, England is the odd one out. If you feel so strongly about it it might be more productive complaining to your MP about it rather than on this forum
@oddball, I'm happy for you that you've got a job, and I sincerely hope that you manage to hold on to it, in the face of what's still to come.  I have to confess I haven't worked now for ten years, idle sponging waster that I am.
  I don't suppose that the fact that I'm now seventy five, started work at fifteen, retired when I was sixty five, spent five years in the army , was wounded twice, never drew a penny  dole money, could be considered mitigating circumstance?
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
So £104 per year as opposed to nothing - doesn't seem so bad?  Crazy
I'm pretty sure the fee will be reintroduced in some form or other, or they will suffer from the same problem as the NHS suffered originally when it was free, mainly that the number of drugs perscribed will climb ever higher, whilst those that are bought over the counter, or just not even collected by the patient fall, causing costs to spiral.
A modest prescription fee provides an incentive for patients to buy their own paracetamol.