cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I don't post on the morning -it's been nice knowing you..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If I don't post on the morning -it's been nice knowing you..

Was on my way to bed at 12.30 am when a shrieking alarm filled the house. Dashed to the kitchen to find the carbon monoxide alarm was going off.Opened windows and doors downstairs. Pressed the reset but nothing happened.
I have/had wife and two grandchildren asleep upstairs. Wife came down to complain about the noise I was making (go figure!), then assured me everyone was ok upstairs.
I found the manual for the alarm and found that to reset it I have to press the reset button for a minimum of 20 seconds, which I did. It stayed off. The gen light it's flashing, so it is working, the fault light is off. There is no burning gas in the kitchen. The only thing actually in use is the fridge freezer and I was charging a car battery. So I have no ideas as to where the carbon monoxide came from ( if indeed there was any) I know charging batteries can give off hydrogen, but in a large kitcheno would think this would be negligible.
We are all back in our respective beds now. My mind is racing..Have I missed anything...should I call someone out...do I remember correctly, carbon monoxide is heavier than air, so we are relatively safe upstairs..I can't sleep.  Angry
So if I have made a mistake..bye all!!
Huh
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: If I don't post on the morning -it's been nice knowing you..

Hydrogen would float upwards away from a CO alarm, but some CO alarms tend to start going off when the detectors are their past their best, so I'd recommend purchasing a new one, just incase it is at fault, and also to prevent you sleeping on the sofa for making another racket... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hopefully just a false alarm,please post in the morning so we know all is OK.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

We live!! Cheesy Cheesy
More to find out the cause, that's the difficult part. Nothing burning in the kitchen at the time. The door closed. Only a fridge freezer running abs a car battery on charge. A fault with the alarm sounds favourite, but it's not something to second guess. Week dismantle and clean out in case there is any insect got inside. Otherwise it's a new monitor and alarm. Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Glad to see your post  Smiley
If you have a can of compressed air you might want to point it in the direction of your detector give it a blow out.
Community Veteran

A worrying incident . Good to know you are OK.
Fixes: 47

Good to read your post this morning Smiley
I have a CO alarm and it's never made a murmur...I presume it works.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Grab a new one with a digital readout of the levels and you can keep an eye on it.
Most CO2 comes from boilers or gas fires with faulty flues.
Community Veteran

They must have a shelf life, as there are 2 suckers on the side of the unit. One reads 'replace unit by September 2018' and most worrying, the other reads 'replace sensor by September 2013'.
Time to replace it. If you guys reading this haven't checked yours, it might be worth a check to make sure yours are still 'in date' and functioning.
Community Veteran

It's the charging battery....  About three quarters of the way down...
http://www.tecumseh.ca/townhall/departmental-services/fire-emergency-services/c02_smoke_detectors
. When charging lead acid batteries, hydrogen (H2) gas is produced. Hydrogen gas is a by-product from the electrolysis reaction (charging) of the lead acid battery. Hydrogen gas can interfere with the carbon monoxide detector's sensor. The carbon monoxide sensor is sensitive to and will respond to hydrogen gas at about a 10 to 15 % of it's actual concentration.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

doris!!!!! You're alive!!!!!!
Good to see you Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: DomS
Most CO2 comes from boilers or gas fires with faulty flues.

Cough cough (pun intended) we are talking about Carbon Monoxide that's   CO not CO2  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Well done nozzer, saved me from having to research that one, I did consider that might be a possibility.
Lesson, don't recharge lead-acid batteries in either a closed space or near a carbon monoxide alarm. Doing it in a closed space could in theory lead to a potentially explosive situation if the amount of hydrogen is too high. One spark and boom Shocked
Community Veteran

Oops - got my mono and dio's mixed up.
Should have known better as I work with the stuff all day  Grin
Community Veteran

Thanks Nozzer, and thanks all.  Smiley Smiley
Having seen the sticker date  'replace sensor by September 2013' I am going to get a new unit fitted.  I did consider buying and doing it myself, but it's mains operated and won't take a chance with safety.
CHECK ANY DATES ON YOUR MONITORS AND ALARMS GUYS Shocked Shocked