Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idiots in Bed

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Idiots in Bed

'Came home to find the milkman in bed and my wife hiding in the wardrobe - they felt such idiots when they realised their mistake!'

@MooseAllain

“Milkman?” wonders an entire generation of youngsters.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Idiots in Bed

Gives you an idea of just how old that joke is!

Minivanman
Hero

Now of course it would be something like a BT engineer..... come to think of it, he's always round our house. Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

The postman always knocks twice.

They're the only regular visitors at most houses.

If it wasn't for the surge of couriers that would have stopped years ago.

If the rumours about having to start picking up your own mail were true.

Minivanman
Hero

Never understood why they have to call at each house.

Seems like a left over tradition from the past to me when receiving a letter was a big deal. In France our post was delivered to a bank of postboxes in the village, one of which would have your name on it of course and one of a different colour for posting letters out. The postie would only call if you if the letter had to be for signed such as those departmental ones.  

Saved on the leg work, and saved from getting their ankles nipped by the odd terrier.... or even worse. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

“Milkman?” wonders an entire generation of youngsters.

We still have milk delivered three times a week from a large company that does milk and more! Mind you we've never seen him in the 5 years he has been our milkman as he delivers before 5am.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Minivanman
Hero

@jelv

Where are you, 1955? Wink

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Unless it's changed fairly recently the Post Office has an obligation to deliver to every address in the kingdom.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Jonpe wrote:

Unless it's changed fairly recently the Post Office has an obligation to deliver to every address in the kingdom.

Apart from when the weather is slightly inclement, cos H&S rules override obligations, just incase someone breaks a fingernail... Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Jonpe wrote:

Thought it was Royal Mail myself..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

@twocvbloke  I don't know whether the obligation is to provide a daily delivery.

@7up  I'm a bit confused about the relationship between the Royal Mail and the Post Office.  I know the Royal Mail was privatised, but an ex-postie told me that the Post Office is still state owned.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I thought they were both privatised.

Either way its royal mail that has to do the delivery, the post office just accept items for royal mail to collect (and collect payments etc obviously).

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

It's a bit complicated and without checking, the only bit that is private of what is effectively a tripartite organization are those small shopkeeper run post office premises - which seem to be closing down faster than you can lick the back of a stamp.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Shortly after privatisation I was paying something by cheque at the Post Office and asked whether they were now a plc. to which the woman who served me said, "No, why?"

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Post Offices are run by Post Office Limited either directly or through agencies. Post Office Ltd is still wholly owned by the UK government.

It was the delivery service that was privatised and became Royal Mail plc.