Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas please...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Ideas please...

Hey gang..
I have three virtual machines running winXP. Each one has internet explorer v6 installed as default and each one has developed a problem where it cannot access google.com or .co.uk for some odd reason - The page cannot be displayed comes up in each one.
This never used to be a problem and each machine can access any other site with no fuss and it only seems to be IE that is affected. Each machine can ping google with no hassle.. it just seems that for whatever reason, http is not working  Roll eyes
This is a pain as google is set as the home page in all three machines so that i can search for things quickly. I know i could install another browser but I really like to keep the VMs at a minimum.
Any ideas?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Ideas please...

IE6 isn't even the most current version for XP, it's IE8.
any reason why you haven't updated IE to the most current version for XP?
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
. I know i could install another browser but I really like to keep the VMs at a minimum.

New versions tend to mean more space being used than the previous version.
I only need something capable of hitting google and bringing me up some newsgroups or other sites that have non complex html - I see no reason for another larger browser for that.
Community Veteran

well i see a reason, as IE6 is not working.
it's out of date, and it's insecure.
have you actually checked if there is a difference in size? or are you merely guessing?
and it's not "another" larger browser, it's replacing your non-working IE6 with IE8 - you don't end up with two browsers.
also, after a quick google using a more up to date browser, it's apparent that google no longer supports IE6.
Community Veteran

If it's being rejected by google solely because of the version numbers why not try spoofing google into believing it's a newer version.
Most browsers have an addon or simple way of doing this.
It's worth a try if it's just for a few simple websites.
Community Veteran

Quote from: chenks76
well i see a reason, as IE6 is not working.

That does not mean that a later version will not also have the same fault - EG if there is something corrupted somewhere in the registry for instance  Roll eyes
it's out of date, and it's insecure.

That is besides the point. The point is that it is not working on a cleanly installed VM and it should be. Secure or not, I do not need it to do anything other than the odd google search and opening up one or two search results on programming newsgroups.
have you actually checked if there is a difference in size? or are you merely guessing?

Its microsoft, I don't need to guess. Also having used IE4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 I can tell you that there is a noticeable performance difference between 6 and 8 - one that I do not really want to put up with for very basic use.
and it's not "another" larger browser, it's replacing your non-working IE6 with IE8 - you don't end up with two browsers.

But it is not IE6.. it is a different (even if similar) codebase which will have many changes over IE6. IF you compare the two just by their MD5 checksums you will see they are not the same browser. Just because they have the same name does not mean they are physically the same. That like saying a tall and short person the same because they're both called Robert.
also, after a quick google using a more up to date browser, it's apparent that google no longer supports IE6.

Supports and actively disconnects are two different things. I've also done a search and not found anything like you claim. I've found plenty of people moaning they can't access it after a DNS hack / redirection but I've not actually found anything anywhere that says google actively drop IE6 connections.
Community Veteran

well you seem to know everything then so clearly you don't need anyone to offer any suggestions.
Community Veteran

Well I've just tested my http inspector program on it (using indy sockets and sending a mozilla client header) and that got a socket error too so there is clearly something fubar'd in the operating system somewhere.
Somehow doubt a upgrade to IE8 would deal with that but I will give it a go chenks - just for you Wink (in a copy of the machine not the actual one)
Community Veteran

Oh dear chenks.. MS do not even offer IE8 for XP:
Community Veteran

Well chenks, true to my word I didn't give up.. i got IE8 for xp from another site...
and this is the result:

Just the flipping same as before (as I said it would be). Now seeing as you are the one with all the knowledge, would you mind please coming up with a proper flaming answer?
Thank you Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1
Community Veteran

Hi nozzer - thanks for that, tried but to no avail  Cry
Seems to be a regular thing with IE as the missus's laptop also has the same problem too. I'm put my bets on tcp/ip being screwed somehow but no idea how or where to start looking. IE is a strange beast...
Community Veteran

Well as you would expect, I've been tinkering some more and suddenly stumbled onto something..
IE displays any page that isn't secure.. the moment it tries to access a url starting with https (or is redirected to one) it throws a wobbly.
As you'd naturally expect with my luck, despite trying all of the cures available on google for this problem nothing has yet worked.. but i shall continue trying..  Crazy
Fixes: 105

I wonder if it's because tls is switched off and lots of sites are blocking ssl3 now.
Try this http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/its/servicessupport/web/sign-on/faqs/enable-tls/
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Yup, tls is turned on:

I'm getting really ground down by this... IE is such a tempermental beast and i always find that despite the millions of so called cures to fix it, none of them ever really seem to work!
Keep the ideas coming guys...