cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideal Christmas Present?

Fixes: 47

Ideal Christmas Present?

Thousands will receive drones as Christmas presents this year but, as a recent near-miss with an airliner shows, the authorities face a battle to stop them being used irresponsibly.

I have a small quadcopter which is fun but it's not in the same league as the aircraft in this article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30387107 Shocked
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ideal Christmas Present?

This is a very worrying trend and many drones are expected to be given as presents at Christmas. In the recent near miss the aircraft was coming in to land at Heathrow and was at around 700 ft. This could have been disastrous over a built-up area. The aircraft was an Airbus with 180 passengers on board.
Community Veteran

It can only be a matter of time before some kids stop dropping bricks from motorway bridges, deciding it's more fun to buzz the traffic with their new Christmas present.

I can imagine someone parking one on the roof of their local football ground and getting a free match day.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: billnotben
...it's more fun to buzz the traffic with their new Christmas present.

We have similar problem with Kamikaze Pheasant taking on cars in the roads around here. However they are not too good at hovering so I guess they are not much use for holding cameras.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Grilled pheasant, must be quite common on your local menu`s then..  Cheesy
A certain "feather in the cap" for local chefs  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

An unmanned aircraft must never be flown beyond the normal unaided "line of sight" of the person operating it - this is generally measured as 500m (1,640ft)horizontally or 400ft (122m) vertically
An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must always be flown at least 50m (164ft) distance away from a person, vehicle, building or structure

These two points i have a bone with.
What is the normnal line of sight? - It depends how big the aircraft is obviously. If it's a little quadcopter you'll never see any further than 50m.
The second one is pathetic considering many pilots will take off and land next to their vehicle, fly over their house to check the roof etc etc etc. A bonkers rule. Yes I agree that it should be a rule of thumb but to say it must always be 50m away is madness. How is anyone expected to know what 50m is? - It's like the car and foglight situation all over again.
As for drones / quadcopters.. i find them a bit boring to be honest. The real interesting RC helicopters are the ones that have the proper tail and head rotor with a variable swashplate. Then they have a nitro / electric engine and can actually carry a payload of reasonable weight. Trouble is that unlike the quadcopters, they're lethal in the wrong hands.. good as garden hedge cutters but lethal to any living creature.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

The second one is pathetic considering many pilots will take off and land next to their vehicle, fly over their house to check the roof etc etc etc

Not the pilot of an Airbus or Boeing Wink

I did read somewhere that the pilot of a Quadcopter would need a basic pilot's licence if operating 'out of sight'.
This was regarding Amazon's proposal of Quadcopter parcel deliveries.
I found the whole thing a bit dubious to say the least.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: artmo
The second one is pathetic considering many pilots will take off and land next to their vehicle, fly over their house to check the roof etc etc etc

Not the pilot of an Airbus or Boeing Wink

Grin
@Strat The same is true if you're flying a drone for any commercial purpose such as aerial photography - even if its in sight. As for out of site flight, the CAA don't allow that at present anyway hence the article shooting down amazons plans in the last few lines. Must admit i'd have been interested to see them deliver to a 3rd floor flat  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
kmilburn
Grafter

I'd much rather be flying one of these... 
Community Veteran

Here is a much more sensible Xmas pressie. A bike.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Grilled pheasant,

Prefer my pheasant 'poached' Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I'm giving away free bottles of Bullace Gin Vintage 2014. Similar to Sloe Gin.
Collect in person from Adair Towers Derbyshire.

Google map couldn't find Adair Towers and I'm not a spirits drinker Sad