cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ice cream

Fixes: 125

Ice cream

SWMBO was telling me about some delicious ice creams she had from Makcaris in Herne Bay today where she could choose from a variety of flavours.
I remember in the late 70's early 80's having something similar from an American company when in the West End of London. My favourites used to be Run and Raisin and Pecan and something, I think. The only name I could find was Ben and Jerry's who started in 1978 then again in 1980 so about the right period but I am sure it was another name. I could be wrong though Undecided
Does anyone know the name or was it Ben & Jerry's?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Ice cream

I used to enjoy the ice creams at Chapel Porth in Cornwall.
After a long walk along the coastal path my favourite was called (I think) the Hedgehog.
The was a nice cornet with dairy ice cream covered in a really thick layer of cold clotted cream.
Then covered in crushed hazelnuts.
Hmmmmmmm.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Mav
Does anyone know the name or was it Ben & Jerry's?

only other companies I can think off are hag en das or walls (for big names) although given I was still sleeping in a cot back then I cant tell you any names Smiley
b&j's didn't expand outside the usa until sometime in the late 80's and iirc there first delicacy in the uk was phish food but I cant be bothered to go and find the book to confirm that lol
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

Further searching and I think it could be Häagen-Dazs.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

I love Ben & Jerry's ice cream . My favourite is their Cherry Garcia.
The company is now owned by Unilever.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I used to enjoy ice cream on a hot summers day moons ago.. now i don't dare - another of my health complications that i have to workaround  Roll eyes
I stupidly forgot this the other week.. someone gave me a cadbury flake ice cream and like a fool i tucked in... i was soon in agony for it and almost crippled over on the floor (no it's not my gall bladder before anyone asks - that went via the operating table a while back).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Lactose intolerance I take it? Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I have that too but this is not that. Its like a gall bladder attack but without the gall bladder.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

They had (have?) a 'restaurant' on Leicester Square. 
Another american company of the time was Baskin Robbins
Community Veteran

Ah yes!! Baskin Robbins, another US company I'm a little;e partial to Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I like Ben & Jerry's myself, far better than the usual frozen foamed custard offerings that seem to be prevalent these days, plus the names are quite amusing, I'm quite partial to a session of Karamel Sutra... Grin
Community Veteran

Another big US chain is Dairy Queen. Nowhere near as good as Ben & Jerry's or Baskin Robbins. It's claim to fame, however, is that it is owned by Warren Buffett and he holds his AGMs in one of the branches Smiley

Quote from: pwatson

They had (have?) a 'restaurant' on Leicester Square.  

I seem to remember the shop they had (more like a bar) was the top end of Haymarket or Whitcomb Street.
I'm not totally convinced it was Häagen-Dazs. I'll be seeing my old school pal who introduced me to this ice cream in a few weeks so maybe he can shed some light on it Smiley
Quote from: artmo
Another big US chain is Dairy Queen... owned by Warren Buffett
Don't you just love names that fit the job  Cool

Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
After a long walk along the coastal path my favourite was called (I think) the Hedgehog.

If this was icecream from Roskillys, you might well be thinking of a flavour they called Hokey Pokey. Which I do not think I have seen for a long time.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

When I lived in Yorkshire there was a famous ice cream parlour in Bridlington called Notarianni's. Every time we went to Brid we would stop off for a cornet on our way to the pier. Delicious Smiley Smiley