Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP compensation

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

ISP compensation

Britain’s telecoms watchdog has proposed automatic compensation for millions of broadband and landline customers who suffer from “poor service”.

Ofcom said on Friday that consumers who “suffer slow repairs, or missed deadlines or appointments, would receive money back from their provider, without having to ask”. The plans would affect 2.6m people who between them could receive up to £185m in new compensation payments each year. Compensation would only apply to fixed landline and broadband customers

Customers would be repaid through cash or on their credit bills when: line or broadband is not fixed quickly enough after it has stopped working; or their new landline or broadband service is not up and running on the day promised; or an engineer doesn’t arrive for an appointment as scheduled

The FT link some times dont work

https://www.ft.com/content/2032e4b0-9658-3b9f-a018-2aa58fb5b02c   

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: ISP compensation

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2017/automatic-compensation-landlin...

It seems the proposals would totally stuff Plusnet, if the automatic compensation kicks in after 3 working days, but it takes Plusnet 3 working days just to look at your fault report.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

How much will it be for PN if they had to compensate for webmail problems ? been 8 months at least 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@rongtw   Well..........   that`s all part of the service !...  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Aah, that's the plan. Make it impossible to report a fault and avoid the compensation clock timer.  

The compensation for an "Engineer"  (a.k.a. technician) no-show should be the same fee that OpenReach would charge us if we were not in for an appointment.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@AlaricAdair:  No, the compensation for a non show of an engineer. should be double what the customer has to pay.. because, nine times out of ten, it means the customer has to have a day off work, and lose a days pay.. therefore he is not being compensated for the suppliers inability to keep a contracted appointment time, and may well have to lose another days pay in the future to be able to "accomodate" the suppliers engineer appointment.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

have just read this on BBC

The proposed scale of charges would be:

• £10 for each calendar day that the service is not repaired
  • £30 for any time that an engineer fails to turn up for a scheduled appointment, or that it is cancelled with less than 24 hours' notice
  • £6 for each calendar day of delay at the start of a new service, including the missed start date

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39377492

Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I think the automatic compensation for total loss of service faults starts on the second working day after the fault is reported. I got a bit confused because I read the draft code document first, which contains different figures than the consultation document. Anyway, the compensation is for delayed repairs to faults, so they've got to have a chance to fix it on time before the compensation starts.

Community Veteran

Reading on the forum I've never quite understood why plusnet seems to be automatically compensated for line faults by bt/or while their actual customer who is living with the problem has to say pretty please can I have a itsy bitsy bit of that if you would be so kind.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

just read this Smiley  on TBB

though there is bound to an accountant somewhere running the figures to see if there is more profit in keeping the current staffing levels and paying more compensation versus employing more engineering staff.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Some ten years ago when my BT line stopped working and wasn't repaired within three (working?) days of being reported, there was an automatic payment of three months' line rental credited my account.  This was set out in the Phone Book at the time.

£30 is hardly adequate compensation for taking a day off work without pay or using a day's annual leave to stay in waiting for an engineer who doesn't turn up.

Gazflo
Dabbler

Will we be able to claim for events that have occurred this year?

It's now 22 days since my scheduled live date, and I still don't have any internet. Under the proposals I would be entitled to £132 in compensation.

In addition to the extreme inconvenience, it's costing me a small fortune in 4G data top-ups.