Fixes: 18

ISP FTTP Availability

10 REPLIES 10
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: ISP FTTP Availability

As per the article.

Openreach (BT) has today announced that they’re cutting the wholesale prices of their Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) ultrafast broadband lines from 1st September 2019, which is intended to help encourage take-up of the new service by ISPs (provided Ofcomapprove their proposed changes, which they probably will).

As part/subsiduary, and as a plusnet FTTP customer, are we to hope that subject to Ofcom's approval Plusnet will also cut the wholesale price for their existing customers - or will that be a provision to far for a company that in my case bumped up the cost of my internet after I went 'land line free' and switched over to VoIP.

Y'never know eh.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

As part/subsiduary, and as a plusnet FTTP customer, are we to hope that subject to Ofcom's approval Plusnet will also cut the wholesale price for their existing customers - or will that be a provision to far for a company that in my case bumped up the cost of my internet after I went 'land line free' and switched over to VoIP.

Y'never know eh.

@Minivanman 

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" (or something like that)!

I've said it before, but compared to other ISPs IMO us PN FTTP (ex-trial) punters get a pretty good deal, even with the £2.50 extra for not having a PN landline.

I just saw the following comment on the article linked to above;

But Plusnet should get some credit for not shutting down those on the FTTP Trial so forcing them to go to other ISPs or back to ADSL or whatever. And the costs to those locked in is the same as the list price for FTTC so much cheaper than any of the other ISPs listed above. So cheap FTTP even if limited to FTTC speeds.

RobPN
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

bumped up the cost of my internet after I went 'land line free' and switched over to VoIP.

@Minivanman 

OT, but out of interest, how much does your VoIP cost you per month?

I think you may have given a description of what you were doing regarding VoIP at the time but it escapes me, but ISTR you didn't go for the cheapest option.

Interested because you could probably make worthwhile savings on your VoIP costs.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

And as I've said before Rob,it was not about cost, it was about principle.

There was an agreed (or so I thought) price for my land land and anotherr for my internet. Sure it's a good deal now and whilst that gift horse might be worth buying, it's breath did smell a bit! 

As for VoIP, the cost is so low I give it little thought, but hosting my old land line number is I think £10 a year, and the cost of calls is almost certainly less than that although being truthful, we seem to use the internet and mobile far more that we ever did so that land line gets used for overseas call in the main. A half hour call to NZ for example was something like 60p.

I've had my problems with Plusnet as many here will know but as it stands at the moment I get a good deal and I really am more than happy with them - but hey, wouldn't it be great if come September FTTP became even cheaper. Thumbs_Up

Champnet
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 7

Just for the record : Vodaphone Gigafast, which is running past our house, is currently offering 200Mbbs up & down for £28 a month with £5 reduction if you have a Vodaphone mobile contract. And I'm still with PlusNet....

RobPN
Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

As for VoIP, the cost is so low I give it little thought, but hosting my old land line number is I think £10 a year, and the cost of calls is almost certainly less than that although being truthful, we seem to use the internet and mobile far more that we ever did so that land line gets used for overseas call in the main. A half hour call to NZ for example was something like 60p.

@Minivanman 

Number hosting costs aside, my main VoIP account costs me in effect under £10 per year, which gives 300 minutes per 'rolling 7 days' of 'free' calls to 01, 02, 03 UK numbers and 'free' calls to some international landlines (including NZ).

How does that work?  Well the cost for the service referred to is 10 Euros for 120 'Free days', so 3 times that for 360 days = 30 Euros for just short of a year.  If I don't make more than 300 mins of calls during the rolling 7 days the credit on the account is untouched at the end of the 120 day period, so the options are to either use it up at very low rates for calls, or put another 10 Euros on the account to get another 120 'Freedays', which is what I now do.

Why do that you may ask?  Well the account lets you use the unused credit to top up PAYG mobile phones (at a present rate of 14.51 Euros for £10 of credit).

So the 30 Euros paid over the year allows 2 x £10 top ups.  This could be for any mobile phone so if you don't need it for your own phone you could sell it to friend.

Win win IMO.  Smiley

Edit: typo

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Champnet wrote:

Just for the record : Vodaphone Gigafast, which is running past our house, is currently offering 200Mbbs up & down for £28 a month with £5 reduction if you have a Vodaphone mobile contract. And I'm still with PlusNet....

Vodafone''s CS make Plusnet's look competent though...

RobPN
Hero

CS is very rarely needed with FTTP.

bmc
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 18

@Minivanman wrote:

And as I've said before Rob,it was not about cost, it was about principle.

There was an agreed (or so I thought) price for my land land and anotherr for my internet. Sure it's a good deal now and whilst that gift horse might be worth buying, it's breath did smell a bit! 

It's quite simple - when you cancelled your land line you changed the agreement. PlusNet has for a long time had a surcharge for internet only which was duly applied.

PlusNet FTTP charges for those on the (former) Trial will not get cheaper (in my opinion). If you look at what OpenReach charge for a wholesale connection (remember to add VAT) and what we pay there is little margin for PlusNet costs, never mind profit.

Brian

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

So a change in agreement becomes an opportunity to claw back some money, and that's OK then?

A plus B equals X, A minus B equals Y... or something like that. Smiley