cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS as big as British Army

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

IS as big as British Army

With 50,000 active members the IS fighters are almost as big as the British Army, yet our dear old politicians, generals and news hacks are agitating to go in and sort out the problems in Iraq. Let's hope this time our "leaders" listen to the public unlike President Bliar did when he was fawning to Bush.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: IS as big as British Army

I was thinking of creating a thread about this yesterday, and ISIS generally. However, I felt given the recent forum issues, it perhaps wouldn't have been such a good idea.
Community Veteran

Can understand that, but I was bemoaning the fact of the UK politicians constantly calling on the Army then rewarding them with budget cuts. I was reading on Aljazeera this morning how ISIS is now one of the richest ever terrorist groups thanks to plunder, particularly the bank at Mosu and Syrian oill. I'm thinking the protection need is here in the UK and not in the dust of Iraq, perhaps having proper border controls with both ingress and egress checked properly.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Military cuts are an inevitability given the fact that our nation is not realistically under threat from another nation. Having said that, we still remain a global power (just not a super power) with a duty to protect people and countries around the world.
The concern for the government (and the public) with ISIS is:
1) The significant risk of genocide to those people who do not agree or fit in with the ISIS ideology: We can never stand by and watch this happen without taking action.
2) The risk of further destabilisation of the Middle East: The Middle East is already a unstable place and peace looks a very unlikely possibility.
3) The risk of home grown fighters: We've all seen the videos of British fighters joining ISIS. What happens if/when they return to the UK? Will they try and commit atrocities in the UK?
Community Veteran

It would not surprise me at all if there is a campaign in Parliament to increase our armed forces again. I feel we have cut too far. If we are going to be part of a world army we must have the manpower to be so.
nanotm
Pro

given that lee rigby was already killed on the streets of London by two individuals associated with (and trained by) the same radical group that is now called I.S. that case is rather late in being made (even if the whole thing was downplayed by the government) theres no real "if they come back and do it here" they already have been back and done stuff here, similarly the 7/7 attack was carried out by a group that is also part of the newly formed caliphate .....
the uk's armed forces are so small now that they couldn't even secure the home nation however we are still the best country in the world at power projection, even the USA struggles to match our ability, they are limited to MAU's speed (about 35knots) although they have a far greater air power ability than any other nation currently ....

which is why the UK and the USA work so well together because we have trained for decades to put in air sea and land bridge capabilities and have ready to go contingencies for them as well whilst the USA has single unit limitations we have complete multirole capable divisions, unfortunately the numbers within those divisions have now shrunk so much they are barely more than a brigade's worth of troops ......

another point worth noting is that IS forces whilst great in number are still not as technologically advanced and are far more poorly trained than our professional forces so we as a nation could be relatively confident that was a ground mission to be launched then we would gain the upper hand relatively quickly
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Does anybody else think with  the technology of 'Drone' warfare as it is developing. Money spent on the two aircraft carriers is questionable,
I would have thought 2 smaller, faster 'drone carriers' would be better. Thus releasing the funding for the Army.
nanotm
Pro

most of the strike capable drones I've seen have a larger wingspan and require longer runways than fighter aircraft,  sure there are some smaller variants but they generally don't have the range or ability of there larger counterparts
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

we had best be careful of what is posted here the Islamic caliphate ,,,,,,, will bring down  wrath to Posters
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
TORPC
Grafter

I think as long as it is not deviated away from & kept to the facts with irrefutable facts, (with supporting links / evidence)
And
That (No - One takes it out of context / misconstrues the facts) then it hopefully should be ok