Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Phone with plug in addition?

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

IP Phone with plug in addition?

I have been transferred at work to driving a desk. On my desk is an all singing, all dancing IP phone. Problem is, I am not always at my desk and need a walkabout phone for wen I am in the workshop. I still need some of the features of the desk phone and am wondering if I can plug another handset into the back of the desk phone to act as a repeater. Does that make sense?

Picture of the work phone and the rear connections.

Yealink IP Phone

EXT/ PC/  sockets on rear.

20200820_130648.jpg

If I plug a standard phone into the ext socket, is it likely to work?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Re: IP Phone with plug in addition?

Probably the only way to find out is to try it!!

The real secret though is to have a chat with your IT guys, explain the issue and see if they have a solution.

A few years ago, the place where I worked had a system where I could answer a call on a phone in the office, or my home office, as well as on my mobile. But it does depend on which system your work is using.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I suspect chatting with the company IT guys about why you're not available for the works phone but tinkering out in the workshop probably won't go down well..

I think you'll be best looking for a IP communications forum - there must be a few of them out there as there's a forum for everything these days.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

@Marksfish I'd be inclined to speak to your I.T. dept and ask them to configure a dial plan for a VoIP SoftPhone. You can install this on your mobile and have it ring when your desk phone rings and equally you can make outbound calls on it too.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks for the replies everyone. The phones were set up by the accountant, who shrugs his shoulders at every question asked. It has taken 3 weeks to get him to look into why my extension wasn't presenting caller id, I wondered why so many people weren't picking up the phone when they had requested a call back!!

@7up "I suspect chatting with the company IT guys about why you're not available for the works phone but tinkering out in the workshop probably won't go down well.."

Part of my new job is to carry out machinery repairs in the workshop, which means I will not be available at my desk, sometimes for hours on end.

@Mook Not sure what Softphone is, but I am away to Google it as it sounds just what I need. thanks.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 147

A soft phone  is an app on your mobile which acts like a voip phone. It can be connect to your pbx via WiFi or possibly using mobile data on your phone. 

For example I have one which connects to our office pbx using a different extension number to my desk phone. My desk phone is set to call my mobile extension if its not answered in a few seconds. I can then pickup the call on my mobile. I can also use the mobile to make calls through the pbx.