cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Address info?

chuffchuff
Rising Star

IP Address info?

Maybe the wrong place to ask, but what info does your ip address give out? Does it give any personal info, name, location etc?

If you move address or change your pc, does your ip address change?

Is it something particular to you or your pc?

If you have someone's ip address can you locate where they are?

45 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: IP Address info?

I may be wrong also as I'm not as up to speed on these things as others here but as I understand it only the ISP provider has information with regards to who you are so I suppose yes, they can give that information out. If you move or change your pc then assuming to stay with the same ISP provider then the IP address stays the same so it's not particular to you or your pc.

Can you locate somebody from their ip address? Well I'd not be able to but I'm sure others can. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 26

Google would be  good place to look for more information, but some basics here

Unless you have a static IP address then in theory every time your router connects to the internet, you would get a new address, so tracing personal information would not be easy. That said PlusNet's new network tend limit the pool of available addresses so you could easily end up with the same one again.

If you are worried about privacy, then you might want to ask about location services!

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Looking at some "What is my location" links supplied in another thread, I'd say that the accuracy is <10%. Sometimes the location given is not even in the same part of the UK.

Maybe the software was made by a spin-off of the business supplying "pin-the-tail-to-donkey kits".GrinCrazy3

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

That's a good point @Luzern.

I have logged into an account from a different device here in west Wales, and then get an email 'warning' saying somebody in Birmingham or wherever has been trying to log into it, and "was this you?" - and it was, but from nowhere near where they said.

Always puzzled me that. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

chuffchuff wrote:

Maybe the wrong place to ask, but what info does your ip address give out? Does it give any personal info, name, location etc?

It gives none of that information

If you move address or change your pc, does your ip address change?

Your IP MAY change if you either suffer a disconnection, or intentionally reboot the router, but on the new PN network, it may not,

Is it something particular to you or your pc?

No - it is network related.

If you have someone's ip address can you locate where they are?

Depends - my current IP says I'm with BT - in London, which is wrong - I'm in Sheffield with PN.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Well being pedantic the IP address actually applies to your router and not your PC and the chances of getting a new one simply by disconnecting your router would depend on how long it was left off and how busy the network was with customers from the same ISP turning their router on / off.

If you were to move house again it would depend on what PoP you connected to at your new address, but I’d be inclined to think yes.

As for tracking someone with their IP then not now, not with any real degree of success. But with IPv6 you’d have a better chance of that but it would certainly be hit and miss as some of the post here prove.

plusmouse
Rising Star

I thought I had a Dynamic IP address but checked last night and it`s a Static IP. States I`m with PlusNet too so it must be correct! Check the website: whatismyipaddress.com and when your IP number shows, click on it and it will give more information.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

My IP address seems to change at midnight (or 1am for you clock-fiddlers), dunno if that's a PN thing or if it's my router doing that, damned annoying though...

But when it comes to IP addresses, there's no place like 127.0.0.1... Grin

Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

It might help if the location was actually accurate. Mine shows me in some obscure place in the north of Scotland. Not even in the right country. I'm in West Yorkshire, England, Grin

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

mine shows Wokingham

MartyPop
Rising Star

Mine says I'm in Nottingham but I'm actually 60+ miles away from there Grin

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

@plusmouse, a static IP address with Plusnet costs £5, what did you check last night?
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
MartyPop
Rising Star

plusmouse wrote:

I thought I had a Dynamic IP address but checked last night and it`s a Static IP. States I`m with PlusNet too so it must be correct! Check the website: whatismyipaddress.com and when your IP number shows, click on it and it will give more information.

That particular checker doesn't always get things right .....

If I use that tool with my Virgin Media connection it says I have a static IP which is incorrect because I know that it's actually a dynamic IP. However, it gets my location absolutely spot on. Well, it will do because good old Virgin Media include your location in your rDNS!

plusmouse
Rising Star

I checked it on whatismyipaddress.com website. I havn`t a clue whether mine changes or stays the same, but I thought Static IP addresses cost money to have too so if that`s the case, I don`t know why I have a Static IP and not a Dynamic? Never asked for a Static IP address. Huh