cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMPORTANT.... Read ALL of the manifesto before voting.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

IMPORTANT.... Read ALL of the manifesto before voting.....

OK.. So, It`s a Daily Mail story...  but...

Labour's secret plans for £4,000 'garden tax'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4553476/Labour-s-secret-plans-4-000-garden-tax.html

36 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: IMPORTANT.... Read ALL of the manifesto before voting.....

Funny how the Conservatives seem to be very good at providing costings for anything in the Labour Party manifesto but are incapable unwilling to do the same for their own policies.

This scaremongering nonsense just shows how worried the strong and stable great leader is.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Be interesting to see how Labour respond to that story.

If true I cannot see anyone with common sense voting for them.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@notinmyname  It also shows, that . you should read all the information on both manifesto`s  to make an informed decision.

"scaremongering" works for both the major parties... don`t foget that....  (probably for the minor players too >>>..).  However, voting for the one you "normally" vote for  or support  COULD  result in some very nasty surprises "after the event", if you are not aware, because you "pooh poohed" all the headlines as  "scaremongering"..

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Neither manifesto,s tell the TRUTH !!!

Us voters are not allowed the truth , as it may scare you , too many lies being told by all parties

@gleneagles  problem is there are too many with NO common sense

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
N/A

I would suggest a critical adding of the Labour Party manifesto and the Labour Land Campaign (which is not part of the Labour Party) website before jumping to any wild conclusions based on the Daily Mail's scaremongering fake news.

As for 'common sense' - that seems to be something those who believe what they read in the Daily Mail lack.

Anonymous
N/A

shutter wrote:

@notinmyname  It also shows, that . you should read all the information on both manifesto`s  to make an informed decision.

@shutter I have thoroughly read the manifestos of ALL the parties with candidates in my constituency (there will be more than 2 candidates in most constituencies so I am not sure why you say 'both').

I fully agree with you that the electorate should make a full and informed decision based on all verifiable information, and to do this requires a certain level of intelligence. Maybe we should have to score highly on an intelligence test before being allowed to vote. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

odd thing about that is that the value of my house is only marginally higher than the land it sits on if it was replaced by a couple of detached houses crammed in although I wonder how the plot will be valued as the bulk of the the garden is either subject to flooding or is designated as agricultural land

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@notinmyname  Its NOT just the DM with that story ,, or are they all running fake news

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/29/tax-homes-treble-labour-plans-land-value-tax/

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/810760/Jeremy-Corbyn-Labour-Garden-tax

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/810616/general-election-2017-jeremy-corbyn-council-tax-bills-...

i Quote !! The proposal hidden in the small print of Labour’s far Left manifesto could force people to sell their gardens and yards to avoid spiralling bills and could put many people into negative equity with their mortgages.

Yes HIDDEN

Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:

Neither manifesto,s tell the TRUTH !!!

Us voters are not allowed the truth , as it may scare you , too many lies being told by all parties

@gleneagles  problem is there are too many with NO common sense

Agreed but on balance do some Manifesto's tell less lies or contain less inaccurate information than others ?

Who can you trust ?........Yes I know the answer is no one but consider the following, why did TM say the triple lock for pensioners would not be guaranteed ? Makes no sense, why say anything then scrap it once in power, many older people vote Tory and that would have cost her a number of lost votes, why was she being honest rather than saying we have no plans to change it, then once in power do so.

Anonymous
N/A

rongtw wrote:

@notinmyname  Its NOT just the DM with that story ,, or are they all running fake news

i Quote !! The proposal hidden in the small print of Labour’s far Left manifesto could force people to sell their gardens and yards to avoid spiralling bills and could put many people into negative equity with their mortgages.

Yes HIDDEN

@rongtw Well, all the papers you mentioned are known for their Tory bias. And the option of considering Land Value Tax as an alternative to Council Tax and Business Rates is NOT HIDDEN at all - it's on page 88. And LVT is considered by many economists to be a good thing. Milton Friedman referred to it as 'the least bad tax'. http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/11/economist-explains-0

Have any of you bothered looking beyond the headlines from the Tory press?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

and again , no idea about cost Sad

Jeremy Corbyn was unable to put a cost on Labour's plan for free childcare for 1.3m youngsters during an interview with BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour.

"It will cost... it will obviously cost a lot to do so to do we accept that," he said, when quizzed about the figures by Emma Barnett.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40090520

Anonymous
N/A

There is a huge difference between the Conservatives and Labour on the issue of costings. Theresa May refuses to give any figures for anything, Corbyn may not have had the figures in his head this morning, but they are available: http://www.labour.org.uk/page/-/Images/manifesto-2017/FUNDING-BRITAINS-FUTURE.PDF for example.

Community Veteran

If there are any links to the Labour party and land tax irrespective of what's in Manifesto that will be the final blow for the Labour Party.

Most people will simply remember the Headline and perhaps a few paragraphs on what it will cost and that will be the end.

As mentioned before it's not some new proposal thought up by the Labour party but it's one some members have taken a liking to, simply because some financial 'expert' has written a paper on some topic does not mean it will work as many investors have found to their cost in both recent and past times.

Anonymous
N/A

gleneagles wrote:

Most people will simply remember the Headline and perhaps a few paragraphs on what it will cost and that will be the end.

Quite probably. The stupidity and ignorance of the general population never ceases to amaze me.

gleneagles wrote:

simply because some financial 'expert' has written a paper on some topic does not mean it will work 

Indeed, but nor does it mean it won't work. One needs to look beyond the headlines and make an educated, informed decision.