cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IE Butt

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

IE Butt

I use Firefox browser but MS IE is still on this PC although I don't use it, evidently it can't be uninstalled entirely. For a couple of days MS IE has been butting in and over-riding Firefox (un-requested naturally) and closing the bookmark side bar that I usually have showing.
It only takes a few moments to return Firefox to where I had it but, I'm not sure why its happening or how to stop it.
Anyone any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: IE Butt

This may help, Start, Control panel,Programmes and features,Turn windows features on or off,Untick IE8, A restart may be required.
May help may not, Worth a shot?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it could be older than IE8, they are removing IE6 and are probably trying that
Get a nuisance with some official sites that only work with IE
Community Veteran

Found it...something called "ShoppersReport" had added itself to FireFox View/sidebars. I didn't add it, or at least not knowingly. Any time I opened a "sales" site (Amazon for instance) ShoppersReport opened IE8 and replaced the bookmark sidebar with its own one. It uninstalled readily in Programmes and Features.
But I did do what you suggested as well Steve M.since I don't use IE at all. The ShoppersReport thingy continued after this was done, it just didn't open IE any more.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I came across this on a students laptop a couple of weeks back.
You may want to head over to www.malwarebytes.com and get a copy of their Anti-malware, especially if things are installing themselves without your knowledge or say-so.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

Well, thanks for that avatastic. Actually I already have an up to date malwarebytes installed that didn't pick it up.
My guess is I accidentally agreed to ShoppersReport when installing something else, or more precisely didn't un-tick it during some other process. I used to get this quite regularly when updating "Java" that would install a Yahoo toolbar if the tick box went unnoticed. It doesn't have that option now as far as I know.

Community Veteran

I recently install Windows in a VM, the browser choice thing came up and I selected Chrome.
Now I hardly use the browser at all, but twice now Chrome has told me "Chome is not the default browser".  Me thinks M$ is trying to get people back into using IE.