Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wonder.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I wonder.

I wonder if the pilot has a little arrow on the fuel gauge that tells him (or her) what side of plane the filler cap is on. Never noticed my old Fiesta had one until after I'd had it for about five years but to be fair, nobody told me. 

Ez9zbLSWYAQRX5Y.jpg

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
16 REPLIES 16
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: I wonder.

No need for an arrow.... or a filler cap !....  they can see the end of the nozzle  and fly accordingly .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkKN-9RqWlU

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

The old way I believe was that you looked at the picture of the little man with his finger in his ear and this was the side of the filler. There was only an arrow if it was on the other side.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Well my last two cars always had it on the left, the only time it used to confuse me was when I drove other cars.

When I was at Uni my dad got me a student job working at his local council. In parking - and no I wasn't a traffic warden (or I believe the 2021 PC name is Civil Enforcement Officer now). Not a job I would like to be doing.

Of course the traffic wardens get (I am sure they still do) performance related pay. Your starter for 10, what do you suspect that is .. either:

1. How they are nice to the customers, making sure they are given excellent customer service.
  2. How many tickets they dish out in a day. After all you don't exactly need a mathematics degree to work out how will be more favourably looked on: The one who does 20 tickets in a day, or the one who does 80? 

I worked in maintenance, making sure the machines had tickets and collecting the money. Dodgy job that was, not wearing any protective equipment other than steel toecapped shoes in case I dropped something on my foot. I knew how much money we were dealing with, I knew as I had to collect and file the receipts.

So yes, I did used to drive other vehices for a living which I didn't mind as it got yourself training in a different vehicle and had a fuel card so of course rightly they paid for fuel in their own vehicle.

I used to get confused when I think it was sometimes on the left, when on their vans it would be on the right.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 183

Never noticed my old Fiesta had one until after I'd had it for about five years but to be fair, nobody told me. 

All Fords I've had have had the arrow, but not noticed any on other cars I've driven!

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

It was just for fun @shutter 😀

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran

Sorry.... Sad

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman, perhaps this is the next step in electric car recharging, catch up with an electricity generating vehicle, pay via your mobile, and it extends a plug into your vehicle and charges it while in motion.

Incidentally I got chatting to an American in a chatroom once who said he'd spent much of his career flying refuelling aircraft.  He even said the refuelling was quite easy to do.  I suppose with training and experience most things are.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

I've probably related this story before, but it seems relevant to the topic -

When I had a Saturday job at the local garage (petrol pumps adjacent to the pavement) a guy pulls up in a posh motor and says "Fill 'er up mate", Only when the fuel started flowing down the gutter did he tell me that there were two filler caps, and only one was connected to the tank. 🙄

A BT colleague by the name of Morrison once filled up his diesel van with petrol - earning himself the soubriquet Diesel Van Morrison.  😂

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

The pilot can't miss the dirty great refuelling probe that sits on the starboard side of the aeroplane on a Tornado 😋, on a Phantom it used to retract flat into the  fuselage. Not sure about other aircraft, but I suspect they are all mounted starboard as the pilots usually get in from the port side.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Left hand drive, never knew that....

shutter
Community Veteran

@Champnet   Google ....   " why do Captain/Pilot always sit on the left hand side"..

some interesting stuff...  !

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

@Marksfish wrote:

The pilot can't miss the dirty great refuelling probe that sits on the starboard side of the aeroplane on a Tornado 😋

Nothing would surprise me these days - we're living in the age where a train took a wrong turn and got lost!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5775501/CrossCountry-train-Newcastle-Reading-gets-lost-Sout...

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

@7up The odd train does get 'mis-routed', I've been on a couple - but usually they get spotted at the next signal. This one is a mystery though, I find it hard to believe that it wasn't spotted much earlier, given that train 'paths' are plotted and monitored because of the very tight schedules and risk of accidents if a rogue is on the route.

John
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Annomalies like that i like to think of as a "Novelty of the gods".

It shouldn't happen but somehow has and gives everyone something to remember and chuckle about.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!