Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wonder if I'll get one?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I wonder if I'll get one?

Courtesy of the daily mail..
They made a huge error with me last year and nearly cost me everything. I am still in need of another 3 operations to correct their blunders. Now Jeremy Hunt is encouraging doctors and nurses (though strangely according to the headline not surgeons) to apologise for their mistakes.

This is good news I feel. The surgeon who nearly cost me everything has never apologised to me. He did concede that a 'complication' had clearly happened as a result of his surgery but he never apologised. This left me feeling rather bitter about it all. An apology isn't too much to ask for taking someone to within an inch of their life is it? - even a get well soon card would have been nice but no, nothing!
Oddly though other doctors and surgeons HAVE apologised to me when they hear what has happened to me - how weird is that?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: I wonder if I'll get one?

But would saying sorry be seen as a sign of admission opening the floodgates to more compensation claims taking yet more funds from the ever cash-strapped NHS?
Don't get me wrong, 7up, I agree it would go a long way for an apology to be forthcoming but, as we all know, ranks tend to close.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro

Quote from: Mav
But would saying sorry be seen as a sign of admission opening the floodgates to more compensation claims taking yet more funds from the ever cash-strapped NHS?

My thoughts exactly
Community Veteran

Not according to Jeremy Hunt and the NHS LA!
According to them it doesn't admit anything and they've produced a 4 page book for staff encouraging them apologise for their blunders.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Doesn't refusing to say sorry make people more determined to fight for every penny they can get in compensation?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RichAllen
Grafter

People have been complaining about the NHS for years, and now the Daily Fail (sorry 7up) are at it..... SMH.
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen
the Daily Fail (sorry 7up)

Doesn't worry me mate! Other people have been saying the same thing to you too but it appears you simply can't drop it.
Heloman
Grafter

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/nhs/10567091/Jeremy-Hunt-says-NHS-doctors-and-nurses-must-apologise-for-c...
"The NHS Litigation Authority says that it is not like a car insurer, which can "withhold a claim because an apology or explanation has been given". "Saying sorry is not an admission of legal liability", the leaflet says. "It is the right thing to do."
Catherine Dixon, chief executive of the NHS Litigation Authority, said: "Saying sorry is the human and moral thing to do, we won't say we're not going to cover you because you've said sorry.
"In cases where people perhaps bring a claim out of frustration, because they don't feel that they've been given an explanation or that their complaints have been heard, an apology may make them less likely to pursue an action."