cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wonder how much Plusnet has changed...

Highlighted
Grafter

I wonder how much Plusnet has changed...

Its been.... 13 years or so since I left for what was only meant to be temporary at the time, but turned into a much longer absence.

Since leaving it seems many of the old vets have either gone quiet, moved on or even moved on to a better place).

But I wonder just how much things have changed and if things have improved. For example I was about at the time Ellacoya's were first introduced due to the whole p2p download culture having a negative impact on the network.
Although when mentioned during sign up I was told these are no longer in use and no traffice shaping happens,  it would seem that according to the literature here it does still exist? 

https://www.plus.net/features/network/

Even here it says Traffic Management although I was told there was none. https://www.plus.net/features/network/additional_platforms.shtml

So who could clear this up ? Smiley 

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 863

Re: I wonder how much Plusnet has changed...

Thanks for your post @Mack and welcome back Smiley

Those webpages you've linked to are fairly old and mostly not relevant anymore so I'm getting this flagged up to the relevant team for review, thanks for letting us know.

We've not had traffic management on our network for quite some time, we removed this in 2017 for all unlimited residential packages.

Although it was more traffic prioritisation amongst your devices on your home network, there's more information on how it used to work Here. At least that's how it worked since I started in 2014.

I hope this helps. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Grafter

Hi Gandalf,

Many thanks for responding, and I am glad to hear this is old literature on the website (although usually dated) and hopefully they can be amended or removed if they no longer apply Smiley .

I originally joined PN back in 2004, then left in 2007 and had the priviledge and honor of being one of the forum administrators during my time here at that point. Way back then what was effectively happening is users who had high usage and deemed to breach fair usage were throttled, and others saw their speed for certain types of traffic also throttled.
This morphed into managing the traffic more further down the line, by which time I had already left.

Back then I was more into running a network and home server for an array of things, where as these days, my usage is extremely heavy on streaming on demand content, gaming and keeping the kids happy with their various games and videos. Currently at 40Gb shy of 1Tb and at day 27.... by god my kids cant half chew through data.

Does Mark still work in the support side (knew him as pcsni back in 2004->2007) do you know, came from Northern Ireland.

Regards.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@Mack wrote:

Since leaving it seems many of the old vets have either gone quiet, moved on or even moved on to a better place).

Nope, there's still loads of us here. I've been here since 2007 i think.. and there's loads of others. Sure some of us have changed usernames etc but still here (PN changed it's forum software a while back which allowed us to change our usernames but oreserve our joining date).

Sure a few members have moved on but there are many of us still here. The sad news is that OldJim passed away a while back - one of our long term moderators and general encyclopedia of everything. There wasn't a fact or figure that guy couldn't produce - he was amazing. He was replaced by Mav who has also been here years.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Grafter

@7up wrote: The sad news is that OldJim passed away a while back - one of our long term moderators and general encyclopedia of everything.

Yeah I read the post, it is very sad to hear and yeah I knew Jim, same as Jonathan, Colin, Mark, Chris. We were the admins way back when, and the pug (Plusnet Usergroup) was starting to take shape, Kitz already had a great website of info etc.

The forums looked very much different back then. I even found my old html hosting space 😛 .

Talking about the forums though I am very much surprised though that BT / Plusnet still use perhaps a more old fashioned style forum instead of something like Discourse >.>

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

The previous forum was SMF - and i have a vague recollection there might of been a forum prior to that too. Anyway SMF was becoming a pain for PN and the mods, The mods didn't like the way it was creaking with age and plusnet wanted something that could tie in with their internal systems. The only choice was naturally to go with something far worse than SMF! Within a couple of weeks of everything being transferred people were leaving, moaning (yes i was one of them) and wanting SMF back again. Naturally plusnet cared as much as Trump for those in need of healthcare..

I've no idea of the state of the PUG now. I haven't used their newsgroups for years. No idea if they're still online or not or the address to even try lol.

I think Kitz is still here - could be wrong tho..

As for html webspace, plusnet no longer offer it officially. Some of us retain it from legacy years / products and it's useful for things like forum avatars (I use mine to host a php script which powers a dynamic avatar - changes every time a page with my reply is loaded). I don't really use it for much else though. Plusnet outsourced the hosting side to a 3rd party a few years back - that 3rd party isn't the easiest for support or features (it's a bit tied down with security etc) but it does work. I foresee plusnet eventually closing that down in the future though..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Grafter

Yeah, casting my mind back that far im struggling. I know at the time it was easier to navigate (and probably still is lol) than this incarnation, but when following posts and threads (especially when they go one for a few pages) both do get out done by discourse and the likes.
When Blizzard moved across to Discourse it was a so so moment, didnt know if it would be any good or not, but using it now actually feels smoother (although dont ask me about the odd levels they introduced to do certain things).

Web space wise tbh I am not struggling for if I need it, it was just such a trip down memory lane when I found it. I did speak to Kitz a while back (think it was still under the old forum) and she said she was no longer with PN (or at least I swear blind thats what she said), but still hung about in the community.

Now I also swear I saw someone talking about using a BT Smart Hub on Plusnet.... (not that I have a reason not to change other than dont fancy putting everything back on wifi, reset up everything).

And yeah Pug looks dead http://usergroup.plus.net/forums 

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 106

@Mack  theres quite a few people using the Smart hub.

As to the forum change, apart from getting away from the legacy SWF, one of the main reasons for using Lithium is the ability to merge the Twitter and Facebook sources with the forum into a single response feed to the PN social team

Highlighted
Grafter

@MisterW Facebook, and twitter what ? Sorry social media like that straight over my head as I avoid it as much as possible Cheesy

Some might say I hate it with a passion.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser

@Mack  so do I but apparently there are some misguided people out there who use it , cant think why!

But given that PN  wish to allow people to use it as a contact medium, it makes the social teams life much easier to pull in all the contact streams through one support system

Also, in the old days the forum was not an official support channel more a customer to customer chat and help system with occasional staff input. Now it's a significant part of the overall support environment

Highlighted
Grafter

@MisterW Oh yeah most definately. From a support standpoint it makes it so much simpler to have all 3 streams piped into a single stream instead of having 3 systems to monitor and manage.

I have to admit though I am still praying for the day the cleaner walks in and unplugs the server farm in order to vacume and never plugs it back in. It would be my christmas miracle. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 18

Hi @Mack 

Interesting to hear a bit of history pre-dating my arrival in 2008. 😎

I'm getting more or less used to the Lithium forum; the main bugbear for me is when you're trying to interlace quotes and replies - it can be done, but it's a right pain in the proverbial.  😣

198kHz (ex-4candles)

When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Highlighted
Grafter

Hi @198kHz 

Yeah, having to hit replay to tag a player or quote seems weird. And then to have the rest of the thread hidden while only displaying the person your resplying to, making quoting multiple people within a single response a right royal pain in the rear.

Its even worse because you cannot highlight a section of text to quote and instead have to quote the entire response and delete what you didnt wisht o quote to begin with. It is either this or I am missing something really obvious.

I think from a support point point of view where you creat an environment for the user to highlight an issue and you respond to this, it is a decent enough system as most threads and posts are short and, well things I am used to is not really an occurance. But I would have thought that for an active thriving community it feels somehwhat clunky.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser

@Mack up until the last update, you used to be able to cut and paste into a quote without having to quote a whole post

Highlighted
Grafter

@MisterW hmm was it an improvement to features to to improve people QOL Wink