cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish politicians would stop talking and do something....now!

shalom2010
Grafter

I wish politicians would stop talking and do something....now!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/a-lost-generation-europes-unemployed-youths-face-year...
There are plenty of other stories right now about youth unemployment. Society (or schools?) have conned the youth of today in getting a degree to help them into high paid jobs. All they some seem to get
is a debt + unemployment. I know all the arguments (I used to work in this field), but I'm glad am not eighteen years old in 2013!
What's the solution? A tough one I know, particularly in today's economic conditions, but there must be something that can be done better.
I'll be interested in reading new ideas - got any?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: I wish politicians would stop talking and do something....now!

I think this is one of those topics I should stay out of  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
JamesM
Grafter

Religion and Politics, count me out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

To take the topic title literally if politicians were to stop talking and do something, there would be a lot of unemployed politicians around, its not in their interests to "do" anything except near election time.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shalom2010
Grafter

I knew this topic would be tough. Maybe I should have said 'If you were a politician what would you do'.
x47c
Grafter

This paper from a financial institution suggests there is nothing we can do
We are at end of an 200 year+ economic/political era.
For me it seems not unlike end of the Roman empire  - slow semi- managed decline with things simply not being done/repaired.
Here is the link
http://www.tullettprebon.com/Documents/strategyinsights/TPSI_009_Perfect_Storm_009.pdf
The article covers debt, energy, globalisation.
Fixes: 123

Quote from: shalom2010
Maybe I should have said 'If you were a politician what would you do'.
The way I see it is that if any of us could just 'jump in' and become a politician tomorrow we would serve the people who pay us and do our hardest to put the Great back into Britain.
But I fear it is much more complicated than that. You would have to start at the bottom, work your way up through the treacle of corruption and self-serving and, most likely, not be able to further any career unless you conformed to the status-quo, therefore, ending up either as corrupt as the rest or unable to combat what you started out to do in the first place.
Probably an over-simplification of things as I don't have a great deal of knowledge in this area but just the way I see it.
As the saying goes power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Would do away with all political parties and every MP would stand as an independent MP publishing 20 or so issues in priority order of what they considered the most important and how these should be dealt with, it's quite likely that the combined lists would have a number of things near or at the top and these things would need to be dealt with over other issues.
A List of issues that came up during the lifetime of a parliament would be available on the internet showing how each MP had voted so we would have a much more accurate idea of how well our views were being represented and acted on.
No MP would be allowed to hold a second job, except unpaid voluntary work that had no connection with their work as an MP.
Gifts, sponsorship or any inducement from any firms or individuals would be banned and those flouting this would face a lengthy jail sentence.
A Standard of behaviour similar to those working in other professions would be expected.
All funding of Salaries, expenses etc would have to be met from Tax but details of who got what would also be made available, this might mean an increase in Taxes but I doubt it as many who sponsor MP's have a vested interest in doing so and are likely to get back far more than what they pay out in sponsorship.
I Would also scrap this daft nonsense of the opening of Parliament and much of the other stuff which is totally irrelevant to what goes on in the present day, MP's should be there to work like everybody else rather than spend time on non productive rituals or opposing ideas simply because their political party tells them to.
OK so this is simplistic stuff but can you better it !!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

MP's should be voluntary positions with a maximum of two terms of office, if necessary as a sabbatical for the period of parliament, sponsored by their chosen professional body, no expenses, no salary. 50% of parliament from proportional representation by region on the basis of 1 to 1,000,000 (65 members approx.), the "other 50%" by whatever means the public decide, so if 'Sprite' wishes to stand on behalf of "South East Train", he can, if when the votes are counted the  top 65 'others' stand as elected, so minority groups like the armed forces, teachers, pensioners could have their own representative, house has 130 members only.
What would I do?
/rant on
I'd increase interest rates to discourage getting into debt, I'd abolish tax relief on interest charges (Vodophone would pay corporate tax, rather than borrowing extensively to avoid tax, same with BTL mortgages), I'd re-nationalise the utility companies (water, power, gas) bring them back under state control (yes it will be inefficient, but it would create fuller employment). I'd re-nationalise the state lottery and let the profits go to the NHS rather than some Canadian Pension Fund. I'd abolish road fund licence and put all the tax on fuel. I'd abolish the ability to claim back VAT from a company perspective. I'd standardize council tax across the nation (Band H pays the same in Westminster or Wilmslow)...I could go on and on and on............... about International companies being taxed, but with (Ed) Balls and (Jeffery) Osborn's "Zimbabwean economic policies" the internationals will leave soon enough.
/rant off
Roll eyes Roll eyes
JamesM
Grafter

Follow the Aussies
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

LOL
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

I think the way forward is by going backwards.
Traditional skills, like fishing, farming, thatching, stone walling, farriers, are all but disappearing.  Why?  Because schools don't offer the careers, there aren't many apprenticeships offered, the industries are dying.
Then there are Plumbing,  Electricians, Mechanics, why aren't these things offered during the last year of school? 
I would give the school leavers a choice.. take an apprenticeship,  college, or National Service... not so much boot camp, but a year learning social skills and responsibility,  cleaning up the local environment, helping old people, being taught to be a productive member of society.
Unemployment, or a part time job at Tesco should not be an option at all.
Yes, it would cost money, but in the long run, employment would be higher, traditional industries would be revived, tax revenue would rise, unemployment benefits would drop, also there would be less crime, because there would be less teens bored on the streets with no money.
Roberto0151
Grafter

This morning I had a brilliant idea for a Cunning Plan, but then I woke up and couldn't remember what it was  Embarrassed
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
I'd abolish the ability to claim back VAT from a company perspective.

and what would that achieve? Companies only collect VAT from customers they do not pay it.