cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish I'd thought of that (not)

ArthurDent
Grafter

I wish I'd thought of that (not)

There's been some talk on the PN forum recently about techie stuff being made available not because we need it but because it's possible (microsoft being v good at this).
In a broader context, I keep reading about the driverless car. Has there been a huge demand for this, or is someone developing it 'because they can'?
What's your submission regarding something we didn't know we needed?  
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: I wish I'd thought of that (not)

Like most things in life we can do without the majority of them, after all we've survived this long without them.  I do feel that the majority of 'stuff' is developed because someone from the ideas department thought it was good at the time. Time will tell on the driverless car, but I suspect that's going nowhere, at least in my lifetime.
Community Veteran

Potentially it's a great idea to keep people mobile who are no longer able to drive.
Though I understand that initially it will require a competent driver who can take over immediately when required.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In this month's I.Mech.E. mag this story is connected with increasing motorway capacity at low cost. Similar improvements in signalling and controls on railways will allow trains to run closer together and increase capacity  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Driverless cars would be good for taxis, that way you don't have to listen to the driver waffling about what he did last week, or have them say "don't go that way mate", just so long as it's not like the Johnny Cabs in Total Recall, those were creepy... Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: ArthurDent
In a broader context, I keep reading about the driverless car. Has there been a huge demand for this, or is someone developing it 'because they can'?

Do you have any idea how many years us Knight Rider fans have been waiting for driverless cars? Do you?  Cheesy
I'm just waiting for the DIY driving KITT (sorry couldn't resist Cheesy) and a cheap black trans am..  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: PeterLoftus
In this month's I.Mech.E. mag this story is connected with increasing motorway capacity at low cost. Similar improvements in signalling and controls on railways will allow trains to run closer together and increase capacity  Cool

And when railway signals fail everything resorts to men with flags - think about the M25 then!!!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Something we didn't know we needed? Computers
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

You could write a book about the things that we don't need. The computer as mentioned below, we did not need this as there was nothing wrong with typewriters and tubulators. But of course we didn't need typewriters or tabulators as there was nothing wrong with a pen and an abacus. But then we didn't need pens when there was nothing wrong with a quill.
I could go on and on with this, but as is obvious most of these inventions have came about by mans need(!) to get things done quicker. Granted, life would be very, very different without these devices but it would not stop. Life would just plod on at a much slower pace.
Community Veteran

From today's newspapers
Driverless car
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

From the same " daily paper ".... obviously you can count on their accurate reporting....... ( or the minister`s accurate counting, ) , whichever....

But Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin and Business Secretary Vince Cable will showcase three trials – at Greenwich, Milton Keynes and Coventry, and Bristol – in a £19million push to outdo a rival Google scheme in the US.

Grin Grin Grin
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I predict that if they allow a driverless car onto he road with the standard of some 'other' drivers there are going to be issues from day 1. Look how current SatNavs try to direct people into fields, the sea and up railway tracks.
If a driverless car tries to perform an overtake will it know about up coming side roads and hold off, will it have looked behind as well as in front?
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kremmen
If a driverless car tries to perform an overtake will it know about up coming side roads and hold off, will it have looked behind as well as in front?

Driverless cars often have cameras, a radar system and decent non-consumer grade GPS systems to "see" what's coming, so, yes, they will know... Grin
And as for the people blaming their GPS for their stupidity in following what it says without looking out the windscreen to see where they are going, then, they're stupid, nay, dangerous drivers... Roll eyes
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Kremmen
....... 1. Look how current SatNavs try to direct people into fields, the sea and up railway tracks.

Quote from: twocvbloke
And as for the people blaming their GPS for their stupidity in following what it says without looking out the windscreen to see where they are going, then, they're stupid, nay, dangerous drivers... Roll eyes

As someone that visit hundreds of houses I do question the SatNav as it direct me into a field but 90% of the time it's correct. It's surprising how many houses are in the middle of nowhere and not in view of the road and only reachable by a track with no indication that it lead to a house.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I used to be a cab driver and our in car phones had the tom tom app on them that was linked to the cab program so that when you got a job come in, you press the navigate button and it would fire up tomtom.
It was spot on nearly all the time. The only time it struggled was with the newer properties as the company wasn't buying the upgrades for tomtom.
Tomtom hardware i have issues with. Although you can upgrade the software and firmware, a few years back (2012) the firmware had a glitch and thousands of tomtom devices were refusing to lock on to any GPS satellites. Of course we all only found out when trying to use the damn things and not getting a signal - and then hours later checking into the tomtom forums  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!