cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wish I could do this here..

Community Veteran

I wish I could do this here..

http://www.break.com/index/8800-penny-prank.html
That would be a fantastic way to pay for parking tickets etc but unfortunately not legal tender in this country  Sad
26 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: I wish I could do this here..

And can you imagine calling the police on a similar matter here and getting a favourable response?  Roll eyes
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

You will find other videos on the same site where American police are not so favourable, like a poor woman getting pulled out of her car and shot with a taser gun in front of her children for taking too long to produce her license!
Community Veteran

You could not do that even with UK coinage - as each coin is only legal tender up to a certain value.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_sterling
Lurker
Grafter

Yeah, what a pity Sean didn't mention that... Oh wait...
Quote from: Sean
That would be a fantastic way to pay for parking tickets etc but unfortunately not legal tender in this country  Sad
Community Veteran

But you could still try to pay this way. It is up to the recipient whether they accept it or not.
Lurker
Grafter

And if they choose not to accept it, you have got nowhere for all the extra effort.
And why would they accept it when they are not compelled to?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just had a count up £3.70 in 10's & 5's in my piggy bank, must go and spend the shrapnel Wink
Community Veteran

Meters in Westminster and almost all "pay by mobile" and that's definitely not legal tender.
Any large organisation would struggle to defend rejecting an offer to pay by legitimate means even if somewhat unusual.
A pile of manure whatever the real resale value might not work though.  Crazy
Community Veteran

No the US Penny isn't legal tender in this country either !
Do NI have different  coins to Britain ?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

somebody higher up has put a link Roll eyes Roll eyes, it does say there, one bank does notes,  as do I think 3 in your obscure part of the world Grin Grin
Community Veteran

A great video Sean.  Thanks for posting, it's made my day Grin
Community Veteran

Yes - and they are now all "foreign" banks  Sad -  or majority owned by UK Government.
Slight change - subject - there was a campaign for the government to legislate to make all notes issued in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland to be made legal tender in all parts of UK as the present system just causes confusion.
Mind you if we entered the Euro - that would do it automatically - as all Euro note are supposed to be legal tender throughout the Euro zone, even if issued in another country . !!
Not sure if that works in practice - I've not tried it.. 
itsme
Grafter

Euro notes are the same there are no country markings to distinguish them from one country to another. The coins are unique to each country http://www.eurocoins.co.uk/ and I have heard that some retailers in the past have refused to take other countries coins. Myself I have had no problems and sometimes when I bored I go through my change to see how many countries is in my pocket. Normally 7 so the coins have spread and are well mixed up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Yep I am going to have some fun this week end with SCOTTISH ££ notes in Yorkshire. Haven't seen any ONE Pound notes for a while but they are still legal tender. Problem is most people accept them there, not like London  Angry