cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wasn't going to say anything but ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I wasn't going to say anything but ...

… as I’m just a bit ticked off I changed my mind. Last week I was looking at the career opportunities on Plusnet’s web site and saw a position that I was quite interested in. However, if I were to get that position I would have had to relocate, which in itself is not an issue but such a move would only be worth while if the salary justified it. As the salary wasn’t advertised I thought I’d email Plusnet and ask if they could give me an indication as to what it was as ‘Competitive’ tells you nothing.

Well it has been just over a week since I sent that email and to date I’ve not had a reply! So what does this say about the people at Plusnet HR? Well you can make your own mind up there but for me I see no legitimate reason as to why I didn’t get a reply.

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I wasn't going to say anything but ...

Yeah... I agree with you on that... a bit "shoddy" as my dad used to say... that word "competitive"... is as useful to a prospective worker as "up to...... MB " speed indications on the broadband adverts !

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Sorry to hear that Mook. I've dropped you a PM regarding this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Mook wrote:

‘Competitive’ tells you nothing.

So what does this say about the people at Plusnet BT HR? Well you can make your own mind up there but for me I see no legitimate reason as to why I didn’t get a reply.

Competitive these days seems to mean they're competing against the others to pay as little as they can get away with.

Sorry I had to adjust your quote to reflect that it's BT you're really dealing with. The real plusnet as it once was doesn't exist now.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Thanks @HarryB, all sorted now Smiley

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 165

Glad to hear it Thumbs Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Standard policy for most corporations these days is when they want to promote someone internally, they do it anyway but advertise the position to meet job ad quotas for the government to feel like they've done something to reduce unemployment levels, so, in reality, the job's already gone before anyone outside the company has a chance to apply for it, but the lack of email responses is just plain rude...
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

This will put not things to rights for you   but many years ago when I was 'in between jobs' I sent out somewhere in the region of fifty application letters to various companies in my field of work and all containing a stamped addressed envelope. It was an unneeded expense what with money being tight at the time but, hey ho nothing ventured as they say.

What a waste of time, effort and expense.

Over one year later and long after I had found another job, I received just the one reply out of the blue telling me thanks for my letter but they had nothing to offer me at that time..... but that they would keep my name on file! 

Now where have I heard that before?

Sadly in this day of emails it does not surprise me but back then it was if I may say so, even more disheartening.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

You are right about that.

Bit annoying for those who attend the interview which will cost them time and money yet stand no chance of getting the job.

No wonder some people just give up trying.

Community Veteran

Well thankfully I have a job at the moment, so it's not really an issue for me but I can understand your frustration, for me it made sense rather than waste everyone's time so I though I would ask what they were offering.

Fixes: 105

Bit annoying for those who attend the interview which will cost them time and money yet stand no chance of getting the job.

No wonder some people just give up trying.

Doesn't seem to have impacted the national lottery though does it? Probably more chance of getting a job than winning that yet still millions play it each week Wink

Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I can see why some companies do not post the remuneration along with the details, I suspect it is an attempt to encourage applications. Having said that, if it were posted on the job I was interested in I wouldn't have bothered applying, as to my disappointment even at its max it was 25% short of what I'm getting now!

Community Veteran

Competitive, adj

Just above what you'd get flipping burgers in MacDonalds

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)