cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've changed my mind.

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I've changed my mind.

It's been many years, but after listening to Jordan Peterson on some pod cast or other recently I've actually changed my mind about capital punishment.

I found that I could not disgree with his assertion that yes and without a shadow of a doubt, certain people did deserve the death penalty and that some of the convicted had even asked for it, but the fact was to use his argument, there is a fate far worse and that is to be incarcerated for life in a 6 by 8 feet prison cell.

Be honest, what would you rather?

Being honest myself I had never really considered the point where it was a yes for capital punishment and well deserved, but that serious close quarter prison time was a far worse punishment.

Never say never eh, and never take the chance of executing an innocent man.

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
9 REPLIES 9
Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Re: I've changed my mind.

Not sure about that......

If life meant life in a 6 x 8 Prison cell then fine.....but how many times do we hear of lifers actually out on parole and in some cases sent to a open prison prior to parole...

You also have the case of terriorists....can they ever be let out, perhaps a few innocent people would still be alive if they had not been out on parole.

Perhaps parole boards should be made up of victims of crime rather than highly paid professionals.

Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

Well I'm suggesting that life really does mean life incarcerated, especially for those that take a life. 

But there you go, this is more about having been convinced about one thing and then as the subject title says, changing my mind.  

Getting more understanding in my old age and more inclined to listen and consider? 

Maybe, but then we change as society changes as well I guess. 

Community Veteran

I guess when we were teenagers it was not uncommon to hear elderly people say things like, I don’t know what the world is coming to, things never used to be like this, Quite common to hear that in the 1960’s when the music scene changed.

So I guess we are the elderly ones now and saying the same things but when you are young you have no experience of the past and start with a fresh slate so to speak, which I suppose is a good thing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I don't know @Minivanman I see your point, but personally I am two minds about this.

I understand your argument, and also there are people I don't think we should be paying our taxes to keep some of them alive. I can think of a few examples, but I won't go into it here as the PC Brigade will have a go at me. (They seem to be quite prolificant round this forum at the moment).

On the other side is as you say, is going after someone who is innocent. Then once it is too late, they realise.

Aspiring Legend

I don't have the figures to hand, but in the US the cost of keeping guys on death row for years and the cost of the execution itself is truly astronomical. One survey even estimated it was cheaper to imprison than to execute and that death penalty trials would go on for far longer and involve more lawyers with the conclusion that it was "ten times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive" according to one Judge. 

Daft eh.

Seasoned Champion

Was going to join in this thread........but have changed my mindRoll_eyes

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

I don't have the figures to hand, but in the US the cost of keeping guys on death row for years and the cost of the execution itself is truly astronomical. One survey even estimated it was cheaper to imprison than to execute and that death penalty trials would go on for far longer and involve more lawyers with the conclusion that it was "ten times more expensive to kill them than to keep them alive" according to one Judge. 

Daft eh.

As you say the high cost is likely down to the cost of lawyers, prison staff wages and cost associated with running a prison building.

In the past innocent people been killed but much has been learned from past mistakes and in particular the attitude of certain judges but much has changed, I would argue judges in general seem to be more lenient when passing sentence and as for proof of guilt, forensic science has come a long way and in some cases there can be no question the person was guilty EG: Brady. Sutcliffe,

I am sure you could add a long list to that example including terriorists, so where there is no doubt about guilt then it should be the death penalty with no chance of appeal.

Community Veteran

@TTman wrote:

Was going to join in this thread........but have changed my mindRoll_eyes

But you are free to change it again.

😊

Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

I would agree that there are those that deserve the death penalty, but don't you think that life imprisonment is a far worse penalty?

Maybe it's because I can get claustrophobic at times, but the thought of being confined in a cell for the rest of my natural life even the bit I have left, fills me with dread.  

@TTman 

I wanted to be a space fighter pilot, but I changed my mind on that as well. 🤣