cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've a ton of paperwork to sort...

Fixes: 125

I've a ton of paperwork to sort...

Well, it certainly feels like it.
I've got letters, statements, etc. going back years and am having a good clear out. What is making it worse is that I have around a year's worth of stuff that I never got round to sorting out and filing.
Last time I had this sort of clear out I promised never to let it get out of hand again but all best plans...
It's also compounded by the fact I've also got a couple of years on my mother's paperwork, too.
I haven't got time to scan everything so will be chucking out a lot of old letters, statements, etc. Probably keeping just the last 6 year's worth.
I've even got receipts going back to early last decade - pointless keeping these.
Does anyone else have such a hoard of paperwork to deal with? How do you manage it all?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

26 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: I've a ton of paperwork to sort...

Simples....We don't sort it!
All we do is use stationery boxes, put the date on the box ie; 20/04/15, and throw all miscellaneous paperwork in there until it is full.  Then put the filled date. we then have 20/04/15 - 01/08/15 (for example). The few times we need anything, it's easier to sort through one or two boxes than file everything away and remember the filing system used.
Obviously we keep bank statements and utilities separate, but this works for receipts, warranties etc. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Bank Statements?  huh ? 
Why keep them.... you can print them off yourself..... IF... you need them.... and... By Law... the banks must keep them for 6 years...so why do you want 6 years of bank statements ?

That question has been done to death on here many times.
I have switched all statements to online except the main bank account as there's always bound to be at least one organisation that will not accept a printed version (Council Tax/Housing benefit is one).
I have downloaded all online statements for all accounts, utilities, etc going back as far as their online records allow which can range from a year to several.
But there's still letter, receipt and such to deal with.
@Doris, that sounds like a possibility but I do like to be able to put my hand on stuff pretty quickly. I do have a filing cabinet; I should just make better use of it Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Scan them to pdf, file the originals in a box marked throw away in year 20xx Decide priority of action as you scan the documents. File the documents under Google Docs for easy retrieval.
To start - pick up the first document.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
IanSn
Grafter

Yes, indeed! Same.
And also have mother's stuff to keep organised.
I've got years worth of docs, articles, letters and things I want to get scanned. Estimate couple of weeks if I did it flat out everyday... Thus it builds up and up.
You've hit upon a sore point! I really do have to get round to this... Thanks  Undecided
Community Veteran

I have a lot of paperwork that I need to dispose of. Some of it I need to shred and this takes time. I wish our waste disposal sites  would offer shredding facilities.Does anyone have such facilities?
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav

Does anyone else have such a hoard of paperwork to deal with? How do you manage it all?

Nope. Don't see the point of hoarding years worth of paperwork.
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
Nope. Don't see the point of hoarding years worth of paperwork.

I only hoard paperwork until the 5th of November.
Saves more on clutter than it has ever saved on anything else.
Community Veteran

Sometimes I find paperwork that  I've not looked at for years. What is the point of hanging on to it. I know people who keep gas/electricity bills for years. Why?
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I know people who keep gas/electricity bills for years. Why?

So they can get depressed by looking at what their bill used to be. Smiley

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Scan them to pdf, file the originals in a box marked throw away in year 20xx Decide priority of action as you scan the documents. File the documents under Google Docs for easy retrieval.
To start - pick up the first document.
I'd like to scan stuff but I really don't have the time in between study, dealing with my mum and my own stuff. I also want to get it all in order before I need to go away for a few weeks probably towards the end of this month leaving SWMBO without any worries where possible.

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: artmo
Sometimes I find paperwork that  I've not looked at for years. What is the point of hanging on to it. I know people who keep gas/electricity bills for years. Why?

It's all done on the interweb these days.
It's easier to keep everything than spend time deciding what to delete.
I've got tax returns all the way back to 2005/6.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
I've got tax returns all the way back to 2005/6.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Oh, I've still got my pension P60s from 1988 Cheesy
The pile of receipts I found have been whittled down to just few.
Gradually getting there...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I scan all my paperwork into a program i made... i used a trial component of a barcode reader (designed for commercial use so home use not really an issue). What i do is print off a scan header sheet (like a fax header but with a barcode) and the barcode links that document to each account (eg council, hospital etc) and then i stick all the docs with their scan sheets through the adf scanner at the same time which then scans the entire lot into one pdf file. The program then opens that file, seperates the documents by their scan headers and imports each of them into the database where they can be found in seconds. Then the originals just go and sit on a big pile of older paperwork and thats it... job done!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!