cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought this was funny anyway

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: I thought this was funny anyway

Yes Mr Clarkson is a real bundle of laughs isn't he? The funny remarks just keep coming.
Mr Brown was far from Clarkson's only target during the Sydney press conference, where he was joined by co-presenter Richard Hammond.
He insulted Top Gear fans, saying: "You should see some of the apes that turn up."
Turning to the show's motorcycle stuntmen, he said: "They're French, so if they get killed it's not the end of the world."
The outspoken presenter also continued his anti-green crusade, blaming this week's snow on "too many green people in the world not buying enough Range Rovers", thereby failing to speed up global warming. Of the Top Gear team he joked: "We don't have a carbon footprint. That's because we drive everywhere."

BBC Article
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Santiago
Yes Mr Clarkson is a real bundle of laughs isn't he? The funny remarks just keep coming.

You're not a fan then?
Like Boris Johnson, Clarkson tends to play up to an image expected of him. Whilst some off-the-cuff remarks have gone a bit wide, some people choose to forget he essentially portrays a character in a similar way to (say) Al Murray.
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I used to like him in the earlier days. I thought he was quite witty.
These days his wit appears to have largely deserted him to be replaced with making offensive and insulting remarks.
I also understanding branding and marketing. These type of situations are great publicity for his brand, and of course his bank account.
Making a public comment about someone's disability and race is not acceptable in this country any more,isn't it? [Carol Thatcher]
For sure there is a place  for some offensive remarks in comedy if used with some skill. Examples of this would be Billy Connolly and Chris Rock.
Unfortunately Jeremy Clarkson is a long way behind them in comedic skills
Edit: I think Al Murray is about as funny as a poke in the eye with a pointed stick
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Making a public comment about someone's disability and race is not acceptable in this country any more,isn't it? [Carol Thatcher]

Although "public" in the context of a green room does give the sense of someone running to tell mummy that ickle Carol's been naughty.
For sure there is a place  for some offensive remarks in comedy if used with some skill. Examples of this would be Billy Connolly and Chris Rock.

Some of the most well-known comedians have been tainted by controversy in their time - Jim Davidson, Chubby Brown, Les Dawson, Benny Hill, Bernard Manning, Jasper Carrott, etc.
I think Al Murray is about as funny as a poke in the eye with a pointed stick

He does tend to be a bit of a one-joke act, particularly on TV where he is significantly watered down. Live, he comes across as quite sharp, but his attacks on hecklers tend to be a bit much for the typical family audience.
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]