cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought bribing voters was illegal??

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I thought bribing voters was illegal??

Yet the ns&i are running adverts on TV about new 65+ government backed bonds paying a better than normal interest rate.
Now while many pensioners may be thinking this is a great idea, why is it restricted to those 65+ years of age? Why not younger people?
Oh thats right, the main voting electorate is elderly  Roll eyes Tories looking after their chums again right before an election - the same as bribery.
No doubt this deal will come to an end right after the election seeing as the most recent adverts have been boasting about it being extended.. Angry
/rant
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
49 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: I thought bribing voters was illegal??

Is it any different than promising to lower taxes or reduce fuel duty... Undecided
It's all done to attract voters.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah..... But.... I`m going to vote for the party that    ... aims to reduce class sizes in schools... ..... now .. to me... that is THE most important thing ANY government can do, to make this country great, and to improve the lives of everyone....
Don`t you think so too ?  Undecided
Community Veteran

I'm with you shutter, it's about the quality of life they're prepared to offer not about the amount of money they're prepared to use to gain voters.
When it comes to voting / electioneering, they should not be allowed to make any promises or offers that have financial incentives. It's wrong and it is what is destroying this country one election at a time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@shutter: makes sense,............ just hope the same party abolishes university fees (but only for medicine, scientific, engineering and technology subjects).
By the time the election comes most of the 65+ will have forgotten about the pensioner bonds Roll eyes
nanotm
Pro

if non transferable oap bonds were a special issue I'd agree that it might be seen as bribing people, unfortunately though the OAP bonds are quite a regular issue (every year or two they sell them) since your buying a government bond the country is paying the investor the interest making them slightly better off over the term of the bond rather than some Chinese fund manager so its better than standard bonds, but worse because as its none transferable should the investor expire only the initial sum invested is repayable and they get to keep the cash for the duration of the bond period "gratis"
being a cynic I know they restrict such bond issues to OAP's because they have a 50/50 chance of not paying the interest on the investment amount (s) unlike the younger investors who will in all probability survive long enough to collect their dues in full  Cool
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The OAP bonds ( in which I have invested) are a direct response to complaints from pensioners that their savings are being degraded by the qualitative easing needed to stimulate the economy and make jobs for the young  Smiley
The government have listened and balanced things up.
I for instance paid off my buy for let mortgages before I retired so am not interested in cheap mortgages anymore. So the pensioner bonds come in very useful  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus, thank you for bringing a bit of sanity to the thread. Your explanation is spot on Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: PeterLoftus
and make jobs for the young  Smiley

Grin
Timing is everything and right before an election, thats a bribe on a mass scale.
If it was going to be done, it should have been done after the election - even if it was planned before it. The next government could then implement it.
nanotm
Pro

they launched them in march in previous years, the fact they launched this issue earlier indicates that far from wanting to use the bond issue as an election bribe they brought forward the release date so as not to have them launched days away from the election, lets not forget that in prior election years the campaigning proper didn't start until march for may elections, that this trend hasn't been followed this time round is a new thing.
no doubt the scale of the bond issue being far larger than in prior years is down to them hoping previous statistics will hold in death rates (about 35% of people buying bonds within their first year of retirement will be dead before the investment period ends)
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
the fact they launched this issue earlier indicates that far from wanting to use the bond issue as an election bribe they brought forward the release date so as not to have them launched days away from the election, lets not forget that in prior election years the campaigning proper didn't start until march for may elections, that this trend hasn't been followed this time round is a new thing.

The forums biggest conspiracist has just said it.. and not even realised it  Crazy
We have a hung parliament. The tories want overall power at the next election. They've announced the bonds EARLY to give the message MORE TIME to get around the elderly voting electorate. Oh and by coincidence they're not waiting until march to start their electioneering.. WHAT A COINCIDENCE!
Remember when Dave Cameron advised motorists to fill up their tanks? - Thus defeating the oil company strikes by storing fuel in the motorists fuel tanks (later admitting it on TV)... these people sit around and calculate STRATEGIES to manipulate YOU - the unsuspecting public.
nanotm
Pro

they announced the bond issue would be brought forward to January in the autumn statement, they announced the details of the bond issue in early December all of which occurred weeks before labour kicked off the first round of election jousting, of course one wonders why they kicked off so early given there so totally un prepared to actually fight an election campaign not even having had the common sense to have produced a manifesto at any point in the last 41/2 years......
still if they just make empty promises without putting any of it in print then they cant be held to any of it in the future, you can tell most of the labour front bench wont be tenable as opposition ministers once the Chilcott report comes out because he's so desperate to keep it under wraps until after the election is over ........ why the tories aren't pushing for it to come out earlier is beyond me it would effectively gift them the election .....
Community Veteran

This government has been very pro pensioners, but this bond scheme is one clear blatant bribe its unreal.
Usually before elections the ruling party does some form of give away, whether its tax cuts or something else.
One reason why I believe this to be so blatant is we are apparently in austerity, yet pensioners seem to be excluded.
I fear for this country should the tories get a majority, massive tax cuts to the rich, social security ripped apart, the poor pushed aside, more bond type schemes, and more picking on the disabled and young.
Kremmen
Rising Star

They obviously realise that pensioners are more likely to vote because they have the time. Keep them sweet.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: PeterLoftus
The OAP bonds ( in which I have invested) are a direct response to complaints from pensioners that their savings are being degraded by the qualitative easing needed to stimulate the economy and make jobs for the young  Smiley
The government have listened and balanced things up.

Could you explain why the interest rate was set so high? They could have set it at a lower level more in line with what most of the analysts were expecting and still met those objectives.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)