Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I should flaming think so!

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

I should flaming think so!

MP's vote to renew Trident? I should flaming think so!

It's a contentious issue for many especially those aging hippies of yesteryear but lets face it guys, the world is just as dangerous now as it ever was. Not a fan of her party by a long shot (see what I did there?) but Theresa May saying without hesitation said that she would be willing to press the nuclear button was spot on. Anybody catch that ex general or whatever on television saying that any enemy of this country that would attack us with nuclear weapons needed to know "that there are 'barstewards' like me in command that would not hesitate to pull the trigger"

Jeremy Corbyn might be a great leader of the Labour Party and one that's needed to counter those other barstewards the Blairites, but I'd hate to put the safety of this country in his hands. He's not PM material that's for sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36830923  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
58 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: I should flaming think so!

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The prime minister sent a very strong message yesterday to the rest of the world with that instant yes response.

Don't get me wrong I hate nuclear weapons BUT we do need a deterrent and not against Korea or others but to keep Russia in line as it's aggression seems to be increasing again.

Last time Russia posed a threat we built the vulcan. Now it's them building the super plane (have a scroll down the science page of the daily mail).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

I hate the damned things myself, but we cannot univent them and we cannot stop others owning or developing them. It's a pickle to be sure.

First published some years ago now, this was a sober read.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/489946.When_the_Wind_Blows

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And yet, all the while, it's the politicians starting problems with other countries, it's the politicians causing the hate between their politicians, it's the politicians going to war with them, but, it's the people who suffer the consequences, because the politicians will hide like cockroaches to make sure they're all fine and dandy...

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

First published some years ago now, this was a sober read.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/489946.When_the_Wind_Blows

I saw the TV adaptation of that (think it's on Youtube somewhere), I've also seen "Threads" too, not recommended viewing as you'll need anti-depressants afterwards...

Minivanman
Hero

Not so fine and dandy when they emerge into a world laid waste, which brings us back to 'When the Wind Blows' does it not?

I'd stand out in the open myself and wait to be incinerated, and just think of the money you'd save by not having to pay the funeral directors.... but then what would you spend it on Cheesy

Community Veteran

Nobody ever said a politician was smart... Grin

As for how not to survive, I've often said I'd sit on the roof and watch the mushroom clouds, only trouble is I lack a set of ladders to do so... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

What about this, it's not that long ago we were literally wetting ourselves at the thought of Nuclear War. But how tangible is the threat?

Minivanman
Hero

And this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b065ylyy

Community Veteran

It would be good if MP's took the same hard line with the overall security of the country and us citizens.

We may not be going out with a bang but with an almost total lack of border control it is instead a steady drip drip.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

wonder how many of the "Yes" people would still say yes if the subs were parked next door to them.
it's very easy for all the English to say yes when the subs get parked hundreds of miles away from them in a country that actually doesn't want them there.
Minivanman
Hero

I'm confident they already are. Not happy that we have arrived at but the number of police with machine guns wandering around our airports.....

Not as many as I saw in Paris recently I must admit where they even had troops walking around - and women with machine guns? Scary!

As for border control, no more arm twisting from the EU and happy at this time to be a 'Little island Englander' (albeit one that lives in Wales) 

Minivanman
Hero

Hardly makes any difference does it?

Anyway, Scotland gains more from having them than not I would imagine what with jobs and everything added to which, even if they upped sticks and moved them to somewhere like south west Wales, they would still be under our nuclear umbrella would they not. 

Cake and eat it comes to mind.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

the vast majority of people working in the faslane depot are people who have moved there from outwith scotland following the job they already had in the forces. they usually up sticks and leave once they leave the job.

the bottom line is that England like having their cake and eating it, by having these weapons but not having them in their own back yard.

can you imagine the uproar if it was decided the keep them in the thames?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

The submarines are not just at Faslne !!  they are also serviced at portsmouth and Devonport , Rosyth by babcock marine

So it not just in scotland ! even in manufacture i belive the build sections all over the UK then transport to faslane

Even CND list the sites here http://www.cnduk.org/information/item/1331-map

Ps When Corybn said he would not !! use trident missiles he puts the UK at more risk

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .