Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I saw three Ships come Sailing in !!

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

I saw three Ships come Sailing in !!

Details of a £348m deal which will see three new Royal Navy offshore patrol vessels (OPVs) built on the Clyde have been confirmed by the Ministry of Defence.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-28747624
A cynical ploy & timing ?
Plans to build them on the Clyde were announced last November when BAE Systems confirmed it was ending shipbuilding altogether in Portsmouth and cutting more than 800 jobs at its yards in Govan, Scotstoun, Rosyth in Fife and at the firm's Filton office, near Bristol.
A spokesman for the Scottish government said: "All work for the Clyde shipyards is very welcome, but this Westminster re-announcement just weeks before the referendum doesn't change the fact that independence offers the best future for the industry
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: I saw three Ships come Sailing in !!

I wonder if, after the Referendum, there could be a change of Govt. policy to shift it all to elsewhere (perhaps South!) to the benefit of the English shipbuilding industry?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The English government should institute a "training" scheme, whereby large numbers these type of ship are built as engineering training projects, properly supervised of course and to common plans, in South Coast locations. As the ships were completed they could be "loaned" to the Navy for seamanship training and humanitarian purposes. Along the way we could rebuild the Naval Reserve. You could build 300 of these vessels for the price of HS2 and help regenerate the English/Welsh naval engineering skills.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
TORPC
Grafter

@AA
That would be be ideal Smiley
However we are not dealing with the ideal government (are we) ?Huh
Infinity
Pro

Three more.......
Between 24-26 May 2015, all three Cunard ships will call at Liverpool culminating in all three Queens meeting on the Mersey for the first time on 25 May.
Worth a visit.... if you like Crowds !!

Details of the visit of Cunard's 'Three Queens' to Liverpool over the bank holiday weekend at the end of May.
All times are approximate
Saturday 23 May
• 10pm – Amazing Graces – state-of-the-art projections on the Three Graces exploring the spirit of Liverpool.
Sunday 24 May
•  9am – Queen Mary 2 arrives in the city and berths at Liverpool Cruise Liner Terminal
• 10pm – Amazing Graces projections
• 10.30pm – Firework display
Monday 25 May
• 10.45am – Queen Mary 2 leaves the berth to greet her two sisters at Brazil Buoy (on the river between Crosby Beach and New Brighton)
• 12pm to 2pm – Three Queens meet and sail in formation south towards the Liverpool Echo Arena, and then north along the Mersey
•  2.10pm – Queen Mary 2 leaves the city, Queen Elizabeth berths at the Cruise Liner Terminal and Queen Victoria anchors in the middle of the Mersey
• 10pm – Amazing Graces projections
• 10.30pm – Firework display, after which Queen Elizabeth leaves the city and Queen Victoria berths at the Cruise Liner Terminal
Tuesday 26 May
• 4.30pm – A special musical sail-away performance to say goodbye to Queen Victoria
• 5pm – Queen Victoria sails out of the city
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

Between 24-26 May 2015, all three Cunard ships will call at Liverpool culminating in all three Queens meeting on the Mersey for the first time on 25 May.
Worth a visit.... if you like Crowds !!

It's this Bank Holiday Weekend ..........
Infinity
Pro

Superb Live Video on BBC News, National & Local
(Did you watch ?)
If not, catch up later...
Pics to follow...
Infinity
Pro

Screen Grabs off Local BBC & Granada News
Online Newspapers will no doubt be producing better quality photo's later...