Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I saw something rare today (2)

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I saw something rare today (2)

No guessing with this one...
Travelling in on the train to work this morning I saw a fellow commuter listening to something while wearing headphones.  Nothing unusual in that of course until I noticed that the source of his entertainment was a Sony Sport cassette walkman!

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: I saw something rare today (2)

Oh my, he's levelled up on the hipster scoreboard!
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I was asked recently by a friend to put some music on his Sony Walkman - and was somewhat  surprised to realise that it was an MP3 player. The name lives on!
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I still have a Sony Walkman, two infact, one a mid-90's cassette radio, auto-reverse model, and the other an MZ-R91 Minidisc recorder in blue, haven't used either in years cos I moved with the times, then got into vinyl records last year which is kid of going backwards but forwards too cos bands are releasing music on new vinyl today... Grin
Community Veteran

vinyl is very in at the moment, another one to thank the hipsters for!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I find that playing an LP round the waist tends to lead to a lot of skipped tracks!  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: buntrob
vinyl is very in at the moment, another one to thank the hipsters for!

I wouldn't say I'm a hipster, I only really got into vinyl because I found this for sale:
http://www.discogs.com/Airwave-Orchestra-Four-Score/release/217883
And, of course I needed a turntable to play it, and once I had the turntable I had to buy more records to play on it, and then cos the turntable had a fault in it's return mechanism, I bought another turntable, and then found a third turntable for sale that needed parts from the first one to fix it, so I bought it and fixed it up and now I have two working turntables for my slowly growing collection of records... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: twocvbloke

now I have two working turntables for my slowly growing collection of records... Grin

Soon be going out in an old ( 2cv ) VW camper with your valve amp, and  huge speakers, and your boxes of vinyl... doing the gigs as a "party D-J"......
Way to go, man.....  Cheesy
Edit... The 2cv wouldn`t be big enough ! ! ...  Grin
Fixes: 47

Quote from: twocvbloke
And, of course I needed a turntable to play it

I have one of these but haven't used it in years Sad
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Soon be going out in an old ( 2cv ) VW camper with your valve amp, and  huge speakers, and your boxes of vinyl... doing the gigs as a "party D-J"......
Way to go, man.....  Cheesy
Edit... The 2cv wouldn`t be big enough ! ! ...  Grin

Nah, I'd rather not be seen in a VW that can be outpaced by a narrowboat being blown down the canal by a light breeze... Grin
It'd be an H-van for me... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I used to have a big pile of l.p.`s   but never played them much at all...!... eventually got rid... Now I have 1 CDrom with over 100 mp3 tracks on it, that I play on the car CDplayer...!..  apart fromt that, I have about 300 tracks on my mobile phone !!...
Can`t think what it would be like to carry that lot around in vinyl ! everywhere I went ! ! ! !....  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I've got a decent collection of digital music to have in the background or to listen on the go, but, vinyl is one of them things that you make time to actually put on a record, sit back, relax, and enjoy the music... Smiley
There's a lot of bow locks reasons why people spend hundreds if not thousands of Pounds on vinyl equipment ranging from "it gives a truer sound" (eh? Huh) to "it's high fidelity and authentic", but for me, I just like it because, well, I like it, makes my ears happy and that's what matters to me... Grin
Community Veteran

I remember the days my parents had a record player, with a manual speed select.
As a kid, I found it so funny to play a 33 or 45 record at 78 speed.
Those were the days Cheesy
Community Veteran

My Pioneers only go up to 45... Grin
There's a few Shellac 78s somewhere in the house though...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Talking of walkmans and the like..
I still use a 3.5mm plug to cassette adapter in the car for my mp3 player  Cheesy
Think about it... I have the full backwards compatibility. I can play cassettes, CDs (6 disc changer in the boot), MP3s (or any other sound source) via the cassette player...
Why upgrade it? - The stereo works with the LCD screen in the dashboard (something that aftermarket stereos make redundant) and it also works with the steering wheel remote. Perfect setup really. Sure.. people think it's out dated but in reality it's more compatible than the latest stuff on the market - thanks to a simple adapter that plugs into anything and has a 3.5mm plug!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!