cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I remember when.....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I remember when.....

Just had a mars bar... What have they done to them over the years?
I remember when they were wrapped in folded paper, the chocolate was brittle (but thick) and you could snap it off .  The caramel was really caramel and the base was not a chocolate flavour milky way base - but had some substance to it.
Other things thank have been 'improved' or lost ;
Cresta soft drinks (its frothy man).  Reincarnated-just a fizzy drink.
Spangles. Lost.
Dentyne chewing gum.  Reincarnated then dropped.
Many others not mentioned, but those are the four I really miss.
13 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: I remember when.....

Mars bars were cheap too!!!  (Not had one for 20 years+)
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: doris
Cresta soft drinks (its frothy man).  Reincarnated-just a fizzy drink.

Wow, just had a flashback. I understood they got the extreme froth by pumping it full of Nitrogen gas and sugar?
As for the size, we just got bigger. My CurlyWurly looks so small  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well being a diabetic I haven't had a Mars bar or a Marathon Snickers bar for years now.
I do remember them as being MUCH larger and MUCH CHEAPER as well  Cry
Creamola Foam was another that died - just add water for an explosion in a glass.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Size is relative !... I am sure that Wagon Wheels were twice the size they are now.... but then... I am twice the size I was then !....
I am sure that a "standard" bar of Cadburys Dairy Milk, used to be 4 oz  ...then the price of cocoa started to rise on the futures markets, and the sizes gradually got less and less, very very slowly, so the punter did not notice... the price also went up in the same way...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I used to like toast, as it had proper butter with salt in it, spread on it.  I don't use salt except for boiled tatties and toast, so the loss of taste makes my mornings a bit more dull.
Kitkats, same deal as Mars bars, they now have the American chocolate on them.  I have switched to the Tescos own brand Caramel Bar to get my sweet fix, which is an imitation of the Mars bar but tastes better.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Kit Kats have never been the same since Nestlé took over Rowntree's!
They changed all the supplementary ingredients in the chocolate (ie cocoa butter, cocoa oil etc) to cheaper varieties and ruined the taste.  Sad
Cocoa, milk and sugar remained the same though!
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And have Creme Eggs gotten smaller, or have we got older and they just seem smaller.
Discuss. Grin
Fixes: 125

Cadbury's Creme Eggs
Discussting Tongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Talking of size.....(get your minds back on topic Cheesy)... I remember being told that they used to pick women with small hands and dainty mouths to advertise chocolate bars - to make them look bigger. Probably why my wife buys my underpants 2 sizes too small  Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
I am sure that Wagon Wheels were twice the size they are now

Yes they were, and wrapped in a waxy paper.
I don't know how KFC get away with saying one of their products is the "original chicken recipe". When they first appeared it was all about the secret coating on their fried chicken. A sort of savoury stuffiny coating. All they do now is just plain fried chicken.
Maybe the secret coating was Colonel Sanders and there was only so much of him to go round. Smiley
I suppose that's why it's KFC now and not Kentucky Fried Chicken.
JamesM
Grafter

Yep, it's a shame whats happening with the PC brigade. We are all too fat and cannot make our own judgement on how much fat and sugar we consume, so they have made it easier for us by reducing the fat content and sugar in almost everything. Nothing tastes the same anymore. A nuclear war isnt going to kill off the human race, it's all the shit they are now putting in our food that's going to make us extinct.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

If you look at the "Healthy" range, you will find they usually contain MORE sugar than the normal ones. They reduce the fat and up the sugar to make it "taste".
As I said I am a diabetic (like some others on here) and I ALWAYS read the label about sugar(primarily)/salt/fat levels. E.g. the Tesco cheap vegie stock cubes are actually HEALTHIER than the normal ones (less salt nearly 50% less!)
I used to avoid yoghurt as there was way too much sugar in them (~30g in a small tub) but now they are producing lower sugar versions - Asda esp the new 50p large tubs - so can enjoy one again.
Fixes: 47

http://www.sweetsentiments.co.uk/ Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation