Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really do wonder if I'm on the same planet

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

I really do wonder if I'm on the same planet

as some motorbike manufacturers!

Not having much to do in these strange times, I thought I'd start by getting the Honda VFR800 Vtec motorbike looking a bit better. Even though it has a fairing, the area in front of the engine was looking rather tatty. Road salt and metal don't mix well. First off to be changed, one set of very pitted oil cooler pipes - £170!

I was then looking at the exhaust down pipes. Nasty bit of rust around where they connect onto the engine manifold. Having just looked up the price, I can tell you now they won't be changed until they fall off or can't be welded back together. £1400 and it doesn't even include the mufflers. What planet are these people on? I can get a whole, reasonably looking bike for £6000.

Maybe time to go for a spin, get over the shock - the sun is out and it 20C. Go man, go!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
7 REPLIES 7
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 57

Re: I really do wonder if I'm on the same planet

I think going for a ride is the best idea, @idonno  - those prices are 'out of this world' - in the fullest sense.

John
Hero
Fixes: 5

@idonno 

Unfortunately that seems to be common for many products bought today.

Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 169

6 grand for a bike! The last one I bought, a BSA A7SS, it cost me £49 19s 6p. It’s obviously me that’s on a different planet!

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 1

@idonno wrote:

and it doesn't even include the mufflers.

Who needs mufflers, get yourself a slash cut straight through pipe, let people know you're there.

Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

My nephew bought himself a bike with a road legal exhaust adaption. It was noisy but despite being legal the police wouldn't leave him alone. Every time he went out on it they pulled him over and threaten to confiscate it, constantly harassing him for his license MOT and insurance.

Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote:

6 grand for a bike!

Quite a few motorbikes today are up in car price territory - those big GS1200 adventure bike 'tanks'; that never leave tarmac ( the bike equivalent of the Chelsea tractor ) are up in £20K territory now.  Talking to a bloke on a KTM superduke 1290 the other day his bike cost over £16K.  Apparently Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor went to KTM (Austria) first when they were thinking of their 'Long Way Down' adventure and KTM were not interested - so they went to BMW - the rest as they say is history... A ready market of rich older blokes who could buy an expensive toy and dream that they were intrepid adventurers while never leaving the tarmac ( you have to be brave or foolish to take a 600 pounds + bike off road.....)

Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Mook wrote: Who needs mufflers, get yourself a slash cut straight through pipe, let people know you're there.

My old Suzuki SV1000SZ certainly used to do that - even with mufflers! 😁 Drop it into 3rd gear and you could immediately see people looking into their rear view mirrors. 😂 I still regret selling it when I went out to Asia. 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?