cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I quite like this idea...

Fixes: 125

I quite like this idea...

Should we all impose a one gift rule at Christmas?

Hollywood stars Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher are implementing a "one-gift" rule this Christmas for their two young children so they don't grow up spoiled.

Although one gift may seem to be a bit mean perhaps 2 or 3 as a maximum. My ex-wife and her family spend hundreds each year on so many presents they can hardly get into the living room and spend much of the following year paying for them all. I am also certain the youngsters don't really appreciate it all or even understand the reasoning behind it.

My granddaughter was inundated with presents for her 1st Christmas and all she could do was gurgle, dribble, cry and eat. I doubt if she will ever remember one single present as time goes onRoll eyes

When I was a lad I was also encouraged to write to all the relatives and friends thanking them for their gifts. This never seems to happen with everyone seemingly expecting a huge amount of expensive presents and growing disappointment if the latest gizzmo/gagdet isn't in their ever increasing stockings?

Perhaps i am just getting old and miserlyCrazy

What do others think?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

33 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: I quite like this idea...

Old and miserly?..nope. It's just we don't have the spending power that the youngsters have these days. Wait while they are paying bills, mortgages etc. and see how they cope with Christmas and kids of their own wanting the latest iphone 32's or the newest Wndows 48 laptops. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I (we) don`t buy presents for anyone...  instead, we put an advert in the small ads of the Financial Times , it goes something like this.

To any friends and relatives, who were expecting Christmas Gifts, we wish to inform you that the ship with the container on. that had your presents, has been hi-jacked by Somali Pirates.

We are not in a postion financially, due to the present economic situation vis-a-vis Brexit ( or whatever is the current excuse). and the value of the Pound to Euro and US$, to pay the ransom to the pirates for the release of our container.

We wish you a Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year.

Mr & Mrs E.....

We used to run a similar one in the Times Educational supplement, apologising for the lack of Christmas cards we did not send, due to the high postage cost...  but we pulled that one last year, as we found out that none of our relatives/friends read the TES !...

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

When I cared about Christmas, no-one got more than one present from the same person, i.e. no parent would buy lots of presents for the same child.

Young children often have more fun with the colourful wrapping paper than the presents themselves.  I remember my younger cousin ignoring expensive toys in favour of such simple things as empty cereal boxes etc.

Personally I'd have a hard time remembering any present from my father, but I have vivid memories of spending time with him, carrying out various mundane tasks, and chatting about all kinds of things.  He was 22 years older than me so when I was 15 he was (in my eyes) an old man of 37.

Fixes: 47

Each year's pile of Christmas presents appears larger than the last round at my kids' houses.

I also find that it's not just family they buy presents for but family friends kids.

The net is widening and pressures are getting crazy.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Shep41
Rising Star

Bah Humbug 😁
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

This spending £1000's on xmas toys that will be played with for an hour (if lucky) is just stupid. As a child I never got loads of presents, but I still see loads of boxes out after xmas round here, and this is a POOR area. I blame advertising, and lack of parental direction, kids see something and parents just buy it for them. When I was a kid that kind of I WANT would result in a smack! Bring back smacking I say!
Community Veteran

Well on a recent visit to Margate to show my niece the beach at Margate.

Get there on Friday afternoon.
Sister says she wants to get some shopping.
Fine I think. We're staying for 2 nights leaving Sunday.
Go to a big Tesco.
(Same as any other one, so not that exciting).

I got hardly anything, sister went mental like we're on an episode of Supermarket Sweep.

How much did we do? £120. For a two night stay.

Then the next morning they went to a cafe for breakfast. Crazy2

Quite impressive, I am worried about about Christmas now. At least you can say she is a good shopper. Shocked

Alex wrote:

Well on a recent visit to Margate to show my niece the beach at Margate.

While the actual beach at Margate is still beautiful with soft, golden sand the area is a dump. I drive through there occasionally and even had to go to the council offices last week but would never shop there. Ramsgate or Broadstairs are far better.

If you want a lovely beach with good views try Botany or Joss Bay. I highly recommend them.

I haven't been to the Westgate Tesco for a few months preferring the one at Whitstable although it does close at midnight.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Yes it was nice enough, so can't complain. It just made me laugh at the time - I said "We've just done £120 in Tesco and we're only here for two days" Tongue

Anyway more of my nieces day out than mine, so you accept it. The long weekend was nice, and I need to get the photos off the SLR. Niece is 3 and I realised I hadn't taken any photos of her. No point in having a camera and not using it.

I was in my local Tesco superstore at 11pm a couple of days ago doing my 'weekly shop'.

Brilliant.

More staff than customers, plenty of parking spaces, choice of trolley and no queue at the 'scan as you shop' paying stations and it was quiet...no piped music, squeaky trolleys or conversations at the ends of the aisles.

I'll do that again.

@Strat

Both local Tesco superstores here stop using 'Scan as you shop' at 22:30 and you have to finish by 23:00 or go to the self-service checkoutShocked

@Mav

I just checked my store on their site and it actually says 08.00 to 22.00.

It might have been 22.45 when I arrived at the pay station but I pushed my trolley into a bay as usual and paid.

There were two staff nearby and nobody said anything.

I might not get away with it in future Embarrassed

It's a 24 hour store weekdays if that makes any difference.

@Strat

I doubt it makes a difference as one of my local ones is 24 hours the other used to be but now closes at midnight. Both stores have been pretty hot on the scan rules which can be a bit annoying. Perhaps you were lucky.

Just checked and it is 22:00 (not 22:30) for the scan as you shop here as well. I still think they allow you to continue using the scanners till 23:00.

But like you say, easy parking, choice of any trolley and hardly any other shoppers. Only downside is that I frequently have to ask for items that haven't been re-shelved yet.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

My family does a secret santa every year. There are rules:

1. Names drawn will be done by couples (we are all married and there is a lot of us)

2. You can choose whether or not to tell the person you are buying for

3. the budget is £50 per couple

4. Little ones can still get presents outside of the budget

Its all good fun as none of us are all that bothered about presents, just a nice surprise and time with family is all we care about (and wine!).

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.