cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I quit..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I quit..

my job today. They've done nothing but mess me about, give me grief harass me etc. The boss even rings me up outside of work to try and pick fights with me in my own time.
So.. now I've given up on the best paid job I've ever had, I'm in a bit of a pickle. No money coming in, no qualifications, no real experience in anything that will get me another job easily..
So.. I've decided to have one last shot at trying to get into IT. I've heard recently from a customer that he did a Microsoft professional course in programming (think he said VB) which was one week long, cost a few bob and from that he's got into IT and worked his way up.
Now, the only problem is that I've tried pursuing several ways into IT in the past and not one of them has worked for me. So.. guys,.. any help or advice here would be appreciated. I'm desperate - I've been in the same boring horrible industry for many years and its not one which will have any real skills recognised by any future employers so I'd be really grateful for any small bit of advice or help you can give me.
Any ideas are also welcome (as long as its not the useless learndirect suggestion - been there done that).
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
82 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: I quit..

With the current state of affair's I'm not sure whether you have done the right thing, Infact I made this mistake too, I left my job, Not happy etc etc, Prob Is I should of hang on till something better cropped up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you like the "independent" way of life, but still have to work to a tight schedule, then you could try your hand at truck driving...(I`m not talking 7.5 tonne but BIG trucks ... like Eddie Stobart etc etc....) . !.. You will need to have HGV training, which isn`t cheap, but once you have passed, and you start earning, then the world is your oyster.... The bigger the truck you drive, the higher the standard of HGV licence, but then the bigger the wage packet too...
If you are very good and can pass the test within two or three months..... Some companies even pay for the training, to get you on the road, and once you have been with them long enough to pay them back, you can look around for better pay/conditions....
magnetism2772
Grafter

i'd like to be a  builder
i'd  love plumbing in everything
you could do a plumbing course obtain the corgi certificate(you have savings so pay to go on  it)
required  for a gas and central heating fitter
you would be rich in year as a heating engineer
or a plumber
or become a driving instructor just get your advanced driving certificate
borrow £3000 and phone up red driving school to share a business with them
Community Veteran

Picking up on what Giro said, and with MANY years of hindsight.....
Do something you enjoy!  Cool
Community Veteran

Which is what I want to do - something technical EG IT.
Unfortunately the replies so far seem to be trying to divert me elsewhere out of the IT sector!
dick:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8
Community Veteran

Quote from: okrzynska
Unfortunately the replies so far seem to be trying to divert me elsewhere out of the IT sector!

Well, having over 40 years of IT experience I don't blame them.
It's not what it was.......
(and you just get blamed for everything)
What hobbies do you have?
Community Veteran

Sorry to hear your problem.  I wondered if you might have a case for constructive dismissal.  Worth looking into on the facts you've given us.
Community Veteran

If you're thinking of becoming a central heating engineer don't go looking for corgi as mentioned elsewhere. For some time now it has been called Gas Safe.
Gas Safe
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
If you like the "independent" way of life, but still have to work to a tight schedule, then you could try your hand at truck driving...(I`m not talking 7.5 tonne but BIG trucks ... like Eddie Stobart etc etc....) . !.. You will need to have HGV training, which isn`t cheap, but once you have passed, and you start earning, then the world is your oyster.... The bigger the truck you drive, the higher the standard of HGV licence, but then the bigger the wage packet too...
If you are very good and can pass the test within two or three months..... Some companies even pay for the training, to get you on the road, and once you have been with them long enough to pay them back, you can look around for better pay/conditions....

What a load of twaddle. You don't know what you are talking about.
Community Veteran

Oddball / Shutter I need help not arguments and criticism. If either of you have a problem please at least explain your reasoning..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK.... I`m not arguing?  am  I?
The posting I made was not "argumental", it was a constructive  suggestion, based on what my son in law did.....
he packed in his "self employed" Landscape garden business, and decided to be a long distance trucker.... got a course, (think it was about 6 weeks) passed his HGV for Eddie Stobart size trucks, first time, and next thing I know he is parked up the road in a HUGE yellow truck with trailer,  He was on his first delivery from Portsmouth to Soham (near Mildenhall)... I was very proud of him...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In shutters defence! the two areas that seem to be always looking for staff are HGV/multi-drop drivers and coach/bus drivers. Two of my local limo companies are desperately looking for drivers. Many HGV drivers work through agencies for anybody needing a driver who will pay them. My eldest son (also) does this and earns a fortune having to turn down work as it will impede on his permitted driver hours.
I only drive coach/buses for shorter hours to attend to my disabled wife. Its not what I was trained for in earlier life.
Otherwise, the disadvantage is that most of the above need a special license. except multi-drop most of that size truck can be driven on a standard (manual) car license. Most limo companies prefer a PCV license, but its not strictly necessary (yet)
Edit: other than that okrzynska, not a clever move. I've always made I've a rule to never leave a job without having another to go to first, and always be prepared to do something different. Easy to say sometimes, in the heat of the moment the best laid plans can go awry.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nadger
Rising Star

@okrzynska - firstly, good luck and I hope you find what you want.
A great many of the redundancies one hears of seem to be IT staff and this can mean that there are a lot of qualified and experienced people in the market place.
Multi drop driving can be a hard life. When I ran my sameday courier service my major customer was a well known Sheffield based parcel company, with green lorries  Smiley, and their drivers had a really long day.