cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I never would of guessed

Grafter

Re: I never would of guessed

as much as I hate the use of the word gotten
In the UK, the old word “gotten” dropped out of use except in such stock phrases as “ill-gotten” and “gotten up,” but in the US it is frequently used as the past participle of “get.” sometimes the two are interchangeable, However, “got” implies current possession, as in “I’ve got just five dollars to buy my dinner with.” “Gotten,” in contrast, often implies the process of getting hold of something: “I’ve gotten five dollars for cleaning out Mrs. Quimby’s shed” emphasizing the earning of the money rather than its possession.

Phrases that involve some sort of process usually involve “gotten”: “My grades have gotten better since I moved out of the fraternity.” When you have to leave, you’ve got to go. If you say you’ve “gotten to go” you’re implying someone gave you permission to go.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Right again you are being very condescending, a lot of people have never had the opportunity to go to university or a grammar school, me included.  Grammar was just not taught at my school.

I think it's a bit unfair to call me condescending. I assume you say that in relation to this…
Quote from: Be3G
I think what community is chastising is people's lack of willing to learn the correct use of English

…in which case, I was talking about younger people than you – i.e. I was talking about people who show a lack of willing to learn the language when they should be. It strikes me that the majority of people who make the offence about which this thread started – using ‘of’ rather than a reduction of ‘have’ – tend to be those of roughly my generation (I'm 22) or younger. So it was those about whom I was making the general statement – although at the same time I am of course always aware that some people can't learn the language so easily for reasons beyond their control. I'm not suggesting that everyone irrespective of their age suddenly goes out and buys this then reads it back-to-back.
I'd point out though that university and grammar school education have little to do with learning English in this day and age, unfortunately. Most of my English/grammar knowledge comes not from my education, but from my own realisation a few years back that my standard of English was not up to scratch, since which time I've been making an effort to correct that. Everyone can do that if sufficiently willing to, irrespective of educational background. Smiley
Community Veteran

Thank you PP I stand corrected. I was referring to the American use of gotten as described in your American quote.
So as it is an English word we can use it on the forum if we want to say something was ill-gotten, right?
Grafter

I assume so
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: community
Please,  would all members who contribute to this forum refrain from typing "I would of" instead of what English Language speakers (who were in school , post 1980, because this is when our education establishments started to forget how to teach  english)
To me this quote is not a friendly chat about how the english language is typed/spoken/whatever, To me this came across rather insulting to have the nerve to ask everyone on this forum the  said request Which is quite frankly a request from where im sitting, Not chit chat .                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Grafter

Re the use of English.  I think that refers to using French, German etc and not regional variations of english, the only exception was the use of Polish as we at one time had a separate Polish forum, and PN had a fairly large contingent of Polish Programmers.
Strange expressions to us Southerners are such as "out with", ( or is it something like that) used by those North of the border, doesnt mean anything to use, we have to google to find its meaning
Seasoned Pro

Out with? Huh
Grafter

Sorry could find an example perhaps one of those north of the border can enlighten us
Seasoned Pro

I'm north of the border Grin Outwith closing hours maybe?
Fixes: 492

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/outwith

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 84.0.2 (64-bit)

Seasoned Pro

Thank's Strat, I have to say i dont understand scottish half the time never mind english Grin
Grafter

That's the one
That's the trouble with the English language, regional variations, it what is called a live language, Latin is termed a dead one, still used but no recent changes to it
Fixes: 492

@ Steve M Me too but what a wonderful mix of dialects we have on such a small island.....well worth preserving in my opinion.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 84.0.2 (64-bit)

Grafter

its not just the spelling, how do you pronounce Gaelic?, I have only recently found the correct way by watching Scottish Folk music on Alba TV  Freesat 110  (and as this is part of the UK and an old English language can we use it?)
MUSIC: Ceol Country
On: BBC Alba (110)    
Date: Sunday 25th April 2010
Time: 22:00 to 23:00
Ceol bho Nashville a Tuath: Feis Ceol Duthcha Ghallaibh. Country music from the Northern Nashville festival in Caithness. With performances from Billy Yates, Slange Ava and Robert Mizzell.
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Seasoned Pro

Yes it's definitely worth preserving, Although ive been up and down the country in and out of different pub's and the looks the local's give you sometime's when you say something forgetting where you are and to them it means something quite different makes you want to leave Grin Grin
I alway's wanted to learn Gaelic but at my school the teachers there were not too impressed with it, Saying it would get me nowhere and that it's a dying language and that was in the "80's"