cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I never would of guessed

Community Veteran

Re: I never would of guessed

Amazing what one can learn on this forum, isn't it?
Grafter

As soon as I posted my thread, I just knew that it would cause a stir!
Especially from the ones who , for some reason, just do not accept criticism,
and will always take the bait.. Wink
Rising Star

Indeed, I learnt that I can't touch type as well as I used to be able to and throw in many spelling mistakes, luckily Chrome has a spell checker!
Grafter

Quote from: community
Sorry to have to bring this up in the forum BUT I HAVE to .
My language is English. It is my native tongue.
Therefore I cringe when I see it desecrated.
I cannot suffer a moment  longer the agony of seeing "I would of"....... Angry
Please,  would all members who contribute to this forum refrain from typing "I would of" instead of what English Language speakers (who were in school , post 1980, because this is when our education establishments started to forget how to teach  english) "I would have"
Is it because when you say " I would've" that you write 'would of', not having been taught any better??????
Please, from now on, be taught that you are really saying "I would have" and you can then join the respected English language speakers and writers.
I make no apologies for this rant... Sad Sad

i find you rather narrow minded
Community Veteran

Capital I please and don't forget the full stop at the end of the sentence.
Grafter

The points I Made were not my case but to point out that other have valid reasons.
And it is not a recent problem as you are implying.  I finished my School "Education" in the 50's and did not find out what English grammar was all about until I started to learn Italian in about 1994 - as I regularly went to Southern Italy work wise for 8 years, and that region did not speak much besides Italian
Grafter

Quote from: dalatk

i find you rather narrow minded

I rest my case, m'lud  !
Seasoned Pro

Yes Pierre-Pierre im with you on that.
@community your last post was rather insulting, I can take criticism, Whats wrong? Dont you like my feedback?
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran

Steve,
I think it could be worth cooling down a tad – no-one's insulting anyone; this is just a friendly debate about the virtues of following English grammar, punctuation and spelling. I take it you're dyslexic from your reference to pierre_pierre's post – in which case, I'm sure everyone will be very understanding of the fact that you find it more difficult than the average person to spell things correctly, so don't be offended. I think what community is chastising is people's lack of willing to learn the correct use of English – not people who cannot help making mistakes, which is the category you'd fall in to.
Seasoned Pro

Right i have a problem with your post now Be3G, Ive been here before in previous conversations with Pierre-Pierre and shutter, I am not dyslexic as you have just assumed that i am, Now im Definately off to stand in a dark cupboard before i go off on one, To anyone else reading this thread, Please dont feel intimidated by it and type best you can.
Community Veteran

It wasn't just a vague assumption Steve – it was, as I said, inferred from your reference to pierre_pierre's post where he mentions dyslexics. Nevertheless I apologise for causing any offence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

I come in from cooking my curry and find it.s nearly as hot in here  Undecided
Jim goes back into the kitchen to compare  Grin - will report back  Grin
Edit - curry wins - note self - don't put as many Jalapeno peppers in next time  Embarrassed
Community Veteran

Oh and by the way, "gotten" is not an English word. It is something the Americans dreamed up and as such is not allowed on here as per the forum rules.
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: Be3G
It wasn't just a vague assumption Steve – it was, as I said, inferred from your reference to pierre_pierre's post where he mentions dyslexics. Nevertheless I apologise for causing any offence.
Accepted, I should of explained myself more clearly from the start and for that i too apologise.
Grafter

Right again you are being very condescending, a lot of people have never had the opportunity to go to university or a grammar school, me included.  Grammar was just not taught at my school.
I was I think good at my job, an Experimental Engineer on Motor Vehicles and it Peed me off the so Called Educated straight out of university who didnt know one end of a spanner fron the other.  
I suffered one in Italy who was organising a Management ride and said we were driving to fast down a straight road through the Vinyards, I had to point out that we had just been overtaken by a van