cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I never would of guessed

community
Grafter

I never would of guessed

Sorry to have to bring this up in the forum BUT I HAVE to .
My language is English. It is my native tongue.
Therefore I cringe when I see it desecrated.
I cannot suffer a moment  longer the agony of seeing "I would of"....... Angry
Please,  would all members who contribute to this forum refrain from typing "I would of" instead of what English Language speakers (who were in school , post 1980, because this is when our education establishments started to forget how to teach  english) "I would have"
Is it because when you say " I would've" that you write 'would of', not having been taught any betterHuhHuh
Please, from now on, be taught that you are really saying "I would have" and you can then join the respected English language speakers and writers.
I make no apologies for this rant... Sad Sad
59 REPLIES
David_W
Rising Star

Re: I never would of guessed

I'm Welsh, am I exempt? Cheesy
Loombucket
Grafter

What - from the respected English language speakers and writers?
Not exempt - excluded.  Grin
*runs like hell from the expected Celtic backlash*
community
Grafter

Quote from: dgwebb

I will forgive you, Dai .....but if you speak OUR language instead of your own welsh, no exemption is allowed... Smiley
Steve
Pro

Quote from: community
Please,  would all members who contribute to this forum refrain from typing "I would of" instead of what English Language speakers (who were in school , post 1980, because this is when our education establishments started to forget how to teach  english)
NO, and actually this thread is rather insulting, Also i would of reported this but on this occassion i will let this one slip
community
Grafter

Well, well,  Steve.
Looks as if I touched a nerve there!
Seems that you are not a lover of the Queen's english ,then ?
So you are saying that every time a teacher helps you to correct your grammar, he is insulting youHuh?Huh
I think not.
He is helping you to be proud of your heritage.
Community Veteran

I'm with community on this one – ‘would of’ makes me cringe every time I read it, not least because it's so unashamedly common these days. It suggests to me a fundamental misunderstanding of a basic element of the language so I think it's justifiable to correct it when necessary (I'm looking at you, Matt_2k34 Tongue ). English is such a wonderful language – let's not spoil it unduly.
Community Veteran

OK while we're at it,
Definitions of  loose on the Web:
    * not compact or dense in structure or arrangement; "loose gravel"
    * (of a ball in sport) not in the possession or control of any player; "a loose ball"
    * not tight; not closely constrained or constricted or constricting; "loose clothing"; "the large shoes were very loose"
    * informal: not officially recognized or controlled; "an informal agreement"; "a loose organization of the local farmers"
    * free: not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem"
    * lax: emptying easily or excessively; "loose bowels"
    * unaffixed: not affixed; "the stamp came loose"
    * not tense or taut; "the old man's skin hung loose and grey"; "slack and wrinkled skin"; "slack sails"; "a slack rope"
    * (of textures) full of small openings or gaps; "an open texture"; "a loose weave"
    * free: grant freedom to; free from confinement
    * idle: lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility; "idle talk"; "a loose tongue"
    * unleash: turn loose or free from restraint; "let loose mines"; "Loose terrible plagues upon humanity"
    * not carefully arranged in a package; "a box of loose nails"
    * loosen: make loose or looser; "loosen the tension on a rope"
    * at large(p): having escaped, especially from confinement; "a convict still at large"; "searching for two escaped prisoners"; "dogs loose on the streets"; "criminals on the loose in the neighborhood"

Definitions of  lose on the Web:
    * fail to keep or to maintain; cease to have, either physically or in an abstract sense; "She lost her purse when she left it unattended on her seat"
    * fail to win; "We lost the battle but we won the war"
    * suffer the loss of a person through death or removal; "She lost her husband in the war"; "The couple that wanted to adopt the child lost her when the biological parents claimed her"
    * misplace: place (something) where one cannot find it again; "I misplaced my eyeglasses"
    * miss from one's possessions; lose sight of; "I've lost my glasses again!"
    * allow to go out of sight; "The detective lost the man he was shadowing after he had to stop at a red light"
    * fail to make money in a business; make a loss or fail to profit; "I lost thousands of dollars on that bad investment!"; "The company turned a loss after the first year"
    * fail to get or obtain; "I lost the opportunity to spend a year abroad"
    * fall back: retreat
    * miss: fail to perceive or to catch with the senses or the mind; "I missed that remark"; "She missed his point"; "We lost part of what he said"
    * suffer: be set at a disadvantage; "This author really suffers in translation"
      wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
David_W
Rising Star

I will forgive you, Dai .....but if you speak OUR language instead of your own welsh, no exemption is allowed... Smiley

Well........ historically the original language of England is Briton/Brythonic which was eventually overtaken by that English language, so technically, our language is Welsh, which is what Briton currently is Tongue  I therefore demand every word in this forum begin with Ll and end with dd and have yy in the middle  Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

its not just that, a lot of the members of the Forum are Dyslexic, and there are other reasons as well
Scouse
Its not juss dat, a lotti de members o' de forum ay dyslexic, and thuz ay uvver reasons as bright.

Geordie
Its neet just that, a lot iv the members iv the forum are dyslexic, an' thor are othor reasons as wey.

Community Veteran

Re. loose vs. lose: everyone knows which one of those two to use when spoken, they just can't match up the correct spelling with the correct sound… a useful tip would therefore be to remember the word ‘moose’, as that produces the same hissing sound after a double-‘o‘ as ‘loose’ does.
Community Veteran

Well........ historically the original language of England is Briton/Brythonic which was eventually overtaken by that English language, so technically, our language is Welsh, which is what Briton currently is Tongue  I therefore demand every word in this forum begin with Ll and end with dd and have yy in the middle  Crazy

I'm not an expert on the history of the English language but I've been reading Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson and I don't recall any mention of what you've just said. It's a worthwhile read by the way for anyone interested in how our language came to be the way it is today. Smiley
Steve
Pro

Well, well,  Steve.
Looks as if I touched a nerve there!
Seems that you are not a lover of the Queen's english ,then ?
So you are saying that every time a teacher helps you to correct your grammar, he is insulting youHuh?Huh
I think not.
He is helping you to be proud of your heritage.
You my dear friend are not my teacher though are you? Also i meant this as what Piere-Pierre has kindly pointed out in his post if you would like to read it.
WildRose52
Grafter

One shall soon need to take elocution lessons so that one might
post into this forum   Grin
David_W
Rising Star

You're going to make me have to type now *grabs Welsh dictionary*
"Most of the languages of Europe, and some of the languages of Asia, can be traced back to a common ancestor to which the name Indo-European is a commonly given.  From this ancestor were derived a dozen or so branches, one of which is called Celtic.........  In the meantime people speaking different forms of Celtic has crossed over from the Continent to the British Isles.  One group established itself in Ireland.  This is known as the Goidelic or Gaelic group, and from it descended the Irish language, which spread from Ireland to the Isle of Man, developing later to Manx, and also to Scotland, eventually becoming Scottish Gaelic.  The other group prevailed in Britain and the language is called British or Brythonic or Brittonic.  Prior to the Roman Conquest this language was spoken throughout what later became England, Wales and southern Scotland.  It was from this descendant of the original Common Celtic language that ultimately sprang the Welsh, Cornish and Breton languages."
We were all speaking Welsh (Celtic) before the Roman invasion, so our original language (our being England/Wales) is Welsh Smiley