cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made an honest mistake...

Fixes: 125

I made an honest mistake...

..the resolution is ridiculous.
On Monday my Gas/electricity was switched from BG to First:Utility.
I took the meter readings yesterday morning but inadvertently gave the gas for the electric and vice-versa.
I immediately rang First:Utility to explain my mistake who took the correct readings from me and said all would be OK.
By the evening the old readings were still showing so I rang to see how long before the web page would be updated. I was told that the readings would now have to be disputed and could take up to 28 days to be resolved and that they just can't take my word for the new readings - what! After I went through security again?
Apparently they have to give the wrong readings to BG and then wait for them to reply that they seem at odds with their last reading based on my general usage.
How stupid. Anyone else come across this?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

5 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: I made an honest mistake...

My Gas/Electricity readings have  a different number of digits.
Gas=4
Electricity=5

Community Veteran

Did the readings give you a silly final bill with BG?
I've had this before when entering readings online with Scottish Power. If you put in a totally incorrect number, it double checks and asks if you're sure.
Fixes: 125

No because they hadn't received them from First:Utility by then.
I did ring BG and gave the correct readings so that could they give me a rough estimate of my final bill but, apparently, they can only accept the readings given to them by First:Utility. I suppose that is to stop anyone giving readings to each company to try and save a few £££s Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

gswindale
Grafter

It get's worse when they claim that "their" meter reader has accurately read the meters and supplied obviously wrong readings which you then challenge!
Had this at a site at work a couple of year's ago & took several months and several photos of the meters to get them to admit to their mistake and to rebill.
They should surely be able to note your readings and compare to the readings provided by the new supplier as if your readings 6 months ago were
Gas 4462
Electric 12345
and now
Gas 4782
Electric 23456
but the new supplier gives them the other way round; it is clear what has happened!
I'm sure when we switched last November I had to submit both reads to both suppliers.
Community Veteran

Quote from: geofftswin
meter reader has accurately read the meters

After my last gas reading my bill was more than twice what I expected. Checking the reading it became obvious that a "3" had been read as a "5". A quick phone call soon resulted in a new correct bill.
Can't fault them on their fast painless correction.