Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm thinking of returning to Plusnet!!

NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I'm thinking of returning to Plusnet!!

Hi all!
After a miserable nightmare with BT - useless help desks and slow internet.  I've been thinking about returning, since I can leave without charge due to price rises.
I'm thinking of getting the Fibre Unlimited option of up to 38mb but was wondering if 76mb is really worth the upgrade and more for larger families (only 3 of us in the the house)
I am also thinking of getting Sky but due to their restricted use of routers and fibre is £20 - however they are offering 6 months free.  My TV is also with Sky but no deals on becoming a sky broadband customer at the mo.
I'm also going to use TopCashback - can anyone tell me if this actually works, as I'll be able to get £105 cashback. 
Thanks
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I'm thinking of returning to Plusnet!!

With respect, to all these  " Six months" free offers..... sounds good,... BUT .. like everything in life... if it sounds too good to be true ... it probably is....  I always ignore those 6 month free offers and look further and see how much it will cost me AFTER the first 6 months...usually twice or three times more... and what for?  cos they conned you into signing up for the 6 months....
it`s ok.. if you plan on moving every 6 months... but do you really want that....? No... I don`t think so... go for RELIABILITY... and as for "super fibre speeed"  do you really NEED that.. do you play a lot of online games where the latency of "slower" speeds would hinder your progress?  or do you just watch the occ movie and a bit of tv when missus is watching strictly...e t c...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if you spoil yourself with fibre you wont go back to normal adsl services ....
with respect to the difference if your actually getting the full 38meg downstream connection then your see any benefit of having the higher fibre service unless your running more than 5 streaming devices simultaneously, for reference every HD stream needs about 3meg down and 1 meg up, so 5 units is securing for itself 20 meg of bandwidth  but you still have enough left over for the Skype calls and some browsing or online gaming,
with reference to the sky option unless they have stopped throttling the upload at peak times you will find it difficult to stream multiple devices, and you already mentioned the problem of the supplied router only
PlusNet have thus far given a fault less service  and I only have another month until my 24mth fibre contract expires sure there have been a few outages in that time but they have been for a lot of people rather than just one or two, and that's no different to any other provider, so if you like calling foreign call centres to speak to flip card Muppets go with someone else, if you want ot speak to native English speakers when problems arise go with PlusNet since the price is the same  Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

It's £20 a month with Sky Fibre (38mb) plus their £16.40 line rental so = £36.40 + Evening and Weekend Calls addon.
Plusnet has Fibre Unlimited (38mb) at £3.99 for 6 months + £15.95 line rental = £19.94 + £11 (after 6 months) = £30.94 (includes eve and weekend calls)
BT Infinity 1 (38mb) unlimited £23 + £16.99 line rental + £2 eve and weekend calls = £41.99
My current package - BT infinity 2 (76mb - only get 50mb) £26 (going up to £27.65) + £15.99 (going up to £16.99) + £2 (increasing to £2.12) (call addon for eve and weekend calls) = £46.76 (After December Price rise)  
Shocking price rise!!  It doesn't seem much, but after a year overview - it is a lot £34.44 price rise total in a year - which could be used to buy a big nice takeaway for one night or two
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. BT Infinity Customer using a BT Smart Hub. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs Up
sjptd
Grafter

I can confirm that the cashback does work; at least it did for me.
I was on 80/20 service with.BT, actually getting around 70/20 (sync speeds) or 65/18 (real speeds).
I've moved to Plusnet 40/20, getting 40/20 (sync speeds) or 39/18 (real speeds).
I hardly ever miss the extra download speed for the difference between the (nominal) 80 download and the 40;
also makes no difference we have noticed for streaming etc.
I do like having 20 upload rather than 10, so the Plusnet 40/20 package suits me just right.
nanotm
Pro

well for price and service plusnet would be the best bet, not to mention there should be no connection fee to pay, just get a MAC code off BT and migrate to plusnet, no messing about with weeks of missed visits since your already a fibre customer, just a wait of a week or two and away you go but swapping to someone like sky will require all sorts of messing about with line cards etc ...
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Will I need an engineer visit since I already have a fibre modem and faceplate with BT
I am going to continue using my BT hub 5 but just put my login to the router
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Right I'm going to place my order!!!
I am going to go through TopCashback but will check quidco first.
Do I call BT after order placed?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Definitely not as they may take it as a cancellation and cancel your service
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I have to give 30 days notice.
Community Veteran

Does the notice start when you ask for the MAC - it used to
Community Veteran

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...  
Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time, either by giving 14 days' notice if you are switching to another provider through an approved switching process, or by giving 30 days' notice if you are leaving for any other reason. We will accept an order you place with another provider using an approved switching process as notice, or from you direct via a range of methods including phone, e-mail, online chat and in writing. You can contact us to give notice using any of the contact details set out on your last BT bill or any other means of contact we have given you, for that purpose.
Community Veteran

Oldjim beat me to it Smiley
nanotm
Pro

you have to ring up BT and ask for a MAC code
then you ring plusnet and give them the mac code
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

Okay, I see.
I'm placing the order now, then I'll ring BT and ask to cancel and ask for a MAC code.
NE