cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I`m probably going to starve to death !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I`m probably going to starve to death !

Well, perhaps that would be better than getting cancer at age 72 ! ...

According to some news reports seen to day on the telly.... toast can cause cancer  !...

WOT !... and I`ve lived this long ?  having two slices of toast for breakfast every day for the past ( at least ) 30 years...

Now... that... is really worrying...

oh yes,... and I`ll have to give up my well done sunday roast potatoes too  !...

26 REPLIES
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: I`m probably goint to starve to death !

Was it the Sun newspaper?

Last I heard Vaseline can cause cancer too and just about ever baby on the planet has had that smeared on their butts.

One thing is for sure, news reporting causes anxiety and stress which can lead to heart disease, something else to worry about but perhaps not too much.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

No... it was on BBC News... ( and also ITV, i think)...

Everyone knows that the Sun can cause skin cancer, anyway..... Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

From today's Times

The cancer risk from burnt food is trivial and an official campaign advising people to avoid it may undermine other, more important public health messages, scientists have said.

The Food Standards Agency warned the public yesterday about the dangers of acrylamide, a substance found in burnt toast, roast potatoes and crispy chips. The agency said that people should try to cut down meals containing acrylamide because it is linked to cancer.

However, other researchers said that there is little firm evidence of a link and that even if burnt food does raise the risk of cancer it probably only does so by a marginal amount.

“I don’t think the message itself is incorrect but I do think that the story ends up overemphasising what at best would be a trivial risk,” said Paul Pharoah, Professor of Cancer Epidemiology at Cambridge University. “There are studies in animals showing that these acrylamides are carcinogenic but we have no real idea what the risks are in humans. We can say with reasonable certainty though that the risks at the sort of doses people ordinarily get are pretty small.”

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

LOL.., wish I'd thought that one up! You're so clever KUDOS!! Cool

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Oldjim wrote:

From today's Times

The cancer risk from burnt food is trivial and an official campaign advising people to avoid it may undermine other, more important public health messages, scientists have said.

Finally a good reason not to visit my mum for Sunday dinner! Grin 

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What with the toast, roast potatoes and chips and the lack of those desirable vegetables courgettes and cauliflowers due to snow in Spain We are all going to starve.

I suppose "Let them eat cake" will be the norm.

Community Veteran

I read about this thing this morning, doesn't bother me in the slightest, I like my steaks seared, my toast golden, and my chips crisp, maybe it'll kill me, but I think it's more likely to be cardiac arrest than death by burnt toast... Grin

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Scientists have long suspected a link between burnt bread, potatoes etc. and cancer, but a cancer research organisation pointed out that there is no definite evidence.

Community Veteran

A lot of things that are burnt are "linked" to cancer, they're even trying to link it to vaping, even though nothing is burnt there, just warmed up and vapourised... Grin

I think the surveys are too simplistic, "Have you suffered cancer? Yes; Do you eat burnt toast? Yes; Cancer linked to burnt toast!!"...

agedgopher
Aspiring Pro

Remember when we were told that butter was bad for us and contributed to heart disease?  Remember how lard was a no no?

They are both OK now!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@agedgopher

Yes lard is still a no no! It's a saturated fat from animals it's not classed as dairy.

Fixes: 125

I saw this on BBC Breakfast this morning. A non-story really.

It did remind me of when my mum was making toast under the grill when we were kids. She would call out "How do you want you toast, light brown or well done". The answer of light brown was met with a scraping sound coming from the kitchenCheesy

I use lard in my pastry which makes it more crumbly, how I like it. I think it is all down to a little of what you like is good for you.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

We were so short of shillings for the meter, my mum would only toast one side of the bread under the grill in order to save gas and called it 'French toast'.

As for burnt toast perish the thought, ours barely had chance to get brown. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Bah you posh people and your grills.

We waited until the coals were glowing nice and red and toasted our very stale bread (no one used to toast fresh bread) over the fire.

So what if it had a slightly smokey taste. Now you have to pay extra for a smoky barbecue sauce.