Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm going nowhere.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I'm going nowhere.

Pity some might say Wink

But the unsurprising news is that people move house now far less than they used to.

I've just about lost count of the number of homes I have lived in and for many of my generation moving far away from our home town, manor, or patch seemed to be the way of things - and then two or three times more as the kids grew and circumstances changed. 

With house prices through the roof and decent rents as rare as hens teeth, families these days are staying put for better or for worse which to my mind is a bit of shame. 

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
15 REPLIES
szaman81
Dabbler

Re: I'm going nowhere.

Are you having problem with your Plusnet Sim or broadband?

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@szaman81

Are you posting under the wrong topic?

Community Veteran

Cost so much to move nowadays. And so many things are tied to the address.

Most you used to have to remember was to take your collection of foreign coins with you to feed into the new meter.

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

My dad is in the RAF (still is, soon to retire) and we moved every 2 years due to being posted all over the place. My wife is the opposite and has lived in Sheffield all her life. She thinks its strange that I want to move around a lot but that is all I knew growing up.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Once it was said that peeps moved on average every seven years, but that must have been at least 40  years past. I'm most certainly below the average in mobility. Since marriage in October 1967: 10/67 to 08/78 3 bed semi; 08/78 to 06/02 4 bed det ; 02/02 to date 3 bed link det.

Then unlike some in my working life my employment was secure, and employer's staff mortgage rates low, but moving for the sake of was not encouraged.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@jaread83

My wife was also from a community that did not move much, but then it was in an industrial area with plenty of cheap housing and without wishing to be rude, a very parochial view of the world.

My own experience and that of my contemporaries was living in south London, many on God awful Council estates, and with the ability to save for a house and move away.

Maybe it was just a 70s thing, but it's what many of us is did.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Parents moved once when I was a teenager, I moved again into council property when I got married, then twice into my own property and no intention of ever moving again until my final move when I will no longer require a property.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Mine must have moved about five times, and it was a real pain what with having to change schools and all. As said all in all I've lost count of the number of times I've moved - but perhaps that's because my mothers side were travellers at one time. 

1861 census. Tent and caravan on Plumstead Common.Roll eyes  

RobPN
Pro
Fixes: 3

Well it seems at least none of you had the misfortune of returning home from school to find your parents had moved without telling you where to!  Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

The standing joke in our house was that Dad would wrap our school sandwiches up in a map!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@jaread83 yes i had a similar time my Father 23 years in RAF  we moved every 3 years , my brother and 2 sisters all were born in different counties Thumbs Up  Father was from Plymouth , mother from Newcastle Smiley

Like me Born in St Athan , went to school in singapore and Watford Smiley

then i had 10 years in RAF and ended up in Yorkshire ,, Yes i been around a bit Cool

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Before I left home to get married we moved twice from one two bed council house to a three bed council house, because me and my sister shared the same bedroom until we were thought to be too old. 

Fixes: 70

Some relatives of mine moved house just about every 2 years for a number of years.

When they moved into a property the man of the house would build a stone fireplace, then begin the search for their next house.

I must admit that each property was better than the last, ending in an old disused church which they gutted and renovated.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

An old disused church?

Shiver.

Not for me. 

It would put me right off having a veg garden for a start. Wink