cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm denied access

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I'm denied access

I tried to access the council web page this morning to pay my council tax but hit a message saying that I couldn't as I didn't have the security clearance. ) In at work now, and trying to remember exactly what it said is difficult).
I haven't accessed it for a month, and since the last time I have changed to fibre.
I used the same bookmark that I always do and when that failed I tried addressing it from a link after a Google search with exactly the same result.
I am running Windows 7, using Firefox. And last night I had several updates which went on automatically - so I'm not sure exactly what they were.
Any ideas what to check first when I get home anyone? Please bear in mind that I'm not overly computer literate. Thanks guys.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I'm denied access

Surely, the obvious thing to do, is to contact the council, to find out if they have changed the "security" rules since you last had access..... and if not, then see about re-establishing your access with new "security" from them....
Community Veteran

U would do but the warning I get isn't from the council site, it's generated by the laptop. A bit like the old 'apache' notifications (that I never understood either).
Community Veteran

Are you trying to access an HTTPS:// ; web page?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Yes,I believe so. This is the site, access from my mobile phone, so though it is the same site, it may be in a different format?
http://www.huntingdonshire.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx
I've been thinking, could it Jane anything to do with the 'network setting' , the option you have got for , public, private etc? Could I have set that wrong?
Community Veteran

Maybe it's a glitch. Maybe they are in the middle of changing your council website like mine has recently changed. My saved links never worked and came up with error messages.
Unfortunately my council website has now gone all damned mobile "friendly".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Is it your IP address showing as non UK?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
TORPC
Grafter

Have you cleared your cache on the laptop or a different browser
nanotm
Pro

I get a "this page cannot be displayed" message  on most of the google links for my local council however if I click the planning applications link then it opens the website but no other page is accessible, it seems like a website error as I get the same 505 error on every link address I can think of
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nanotm
Pro

probably worth pointing out this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130918.0.html as its a known issue and you should report the problem .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Thanks guys, it seems to have sorted itself out now. Undecided
However as soon as I switched laptop on it went straight into 'configuring windows updates' for five minutes.  I suspect these updates have something to do with it. Smiley
TORPC
Grafter

Glad it's sorted Smiley