cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'll have a 'P' please Bob...

Fixes: 123

I'll have a 'P' please Bob...

Goodbye to a national treasure: Broadcaster Bob Holness dies in his sleep, aged 83
Bob, best known as the host of the ITV1 quiz Blockbusters, had a career spanning almost 60 years.

He also became the second actor to portray James Bond, starring in a radio adaptation of Moonraker in 1956.

I used to enjoy Blockbusters back in the 80's. Never liked it after, I think it was, Lisa Tarbuck took over.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: I'll have a 'P' please Bob...

Oh man, I'm gutted. I used to find blockie a bit boring but I always liked him as a host, always a very positive fella and the blockie music and futuristic city shots at the opening of the show were excellent - the graphics alone were way ahead of their time and even now still look very good.
Apparently he'd also suffered 13 strokes I read somewhere last year. He lived in Herne bay which was a bit gutting as I once worked there and had I known I would of kept an eye out for him - I always wanted his autograph!
What a legend, a true icon, TV has never been the same since he stopped broadcasting blockie. Incredible experiment though wasn't it - a 10 year test to see if 2 heads were really better than one (as mentioned in the very first episode which you can see on youtube).
I'll have a R, I and a P for Bob please.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 123

Quote from: Sprite
He lived in Herne bay...

I didn't know that. I lived in Herne Bay for a number of years till 2010 but I guess his health was failing considerably by then and didn't venture out much.
He was old school broadcasting and just seemed like everyone's favourite uncle.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I met Bob a few times in the 70's when he co-hosted the AM Show on radio.  He was a true gentleman and a sharp sense of humour.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mav
He was old school broadcasting and just seemed like everyone's favourite uncle.

Yeah I always liked Bob. the game could be a bit boring but he was an excellent character, always polite, never making fun of people, always positive about everything etc. Such a nice guy, I really liked him so much. He reminded me a lot of the head master at my primary school who was very similar in character.
I'm really sad to hear that Bob has passed away he was such an inspirational character and played a huge part in entertaining the nation. Real proper old school decent type of guy.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Ed Miliband has become the latest politician to come a cropper on Twitter after accidentally paying tribute to Bob Holness for his work on "Blackbusters".
Community Veteran

Another gaffe but nothing as serious as the one from Diane Abbott during the week.  She was lucky to have kept her position in the shadow cabinet.