cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like this story :)

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I like this story :)

Sainsbury's is renaming its tiger bread after a letter a three-year-old girl wrote to the company, saying the bread looked more like a giraffe, went viral.
In May 2011, Lily Robinson wrote to the supermarket, suggesting that the bread should be called giraffe bread.
She received a letter back saying that renaming it was "a brilliant idea".
Her mother posted the letters on her blog and after it again became a topic of conversation on social media sites last week, the bread has been renamed.
Lily's letter said: "Why is tiger bread called tiger bread? It should be called giraffe bread. Love from Lily Robinson age 3 and 1/2".

Source  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16812545
5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: I like this story :)

I saw this a week or so ago.
I thought that the response was absolutely fantastic - the Sainbury's member of staff should be commended (although he has now left the company to become a teacher).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

perhaps he left to become a teacher, to explain the different types of markings on a giraffe and a tiger  to senior executives of supermarkets, and marketing companies.! !  Roll eyes
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

I think what Sainsbury's need to do is make it less awful.
Everybody else makes theirs by adding sesame oil before baking, thereby making it taste nicer.
From my one unfortunate purchase, Sainsbury's seem to take a novel approach of adding something which does nothing to the taste but transforms the crust into a skin of indestructable and inedible scabs.
At least they're properly differentiating their product now.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: HighLordPhanty
adding sesame oil before baking, thereby making it taste nicer.

I bake our own bread, never tried Sesame Oil, how much?
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
I bake our own bread, never tried Sesame Oil, how much?

So do I and I've never thought of doing that either. Googling throes up a few recipes.
How much?
Pricewise, £1.50 a bottle down the Chinese aisle of your preferred shopping venue.
Quantitywise, a thin coating I would have thought.
Actually the best part of the loaf is the bottom if the oil has run down and concentrated there. Look for loaves with a darker base.