cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like the French but......

nadger
Rising Star

I like the French but......

I'll admit to being a Francophile but the current SeaFrance strike could change things. Angry
Used Tesco vouchers to get a cheap trip thro' Channel Tunnel on 18th March but M20 is full of HGVs parked up due to Operation Stack
Twenty odd years of running a sameday courier service means I can plan another route easily - this is where maps beat sat nav  Smiley
This strike has so far lasted over ten days so you'd think that some form of resolution was in sight but NON Sad
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: I like the French but......

Twenty odd years of running a sameday courier service means I can plan another route easily - this is where maps beat sat nav 

I have a memory for places and roads, even if I have only been there once, and many years ago, When driving, I seem to have a film of the road ahead, even small details, like a postbox on a house wall, seem to come to mind, when someone asks me about a particular stretch of road..... I couldn`t even try to calculate the mileage I have driven in U.K.  but it must be in the millions..... NO KIDDING.  we used to go to Wales for a weekend, quite often, (from Portsmouth) to North Wales, drive on just about every road, zig zagging down through the country, and getting home late Sunday/monday morn having done just over 1,000 miles
Oh drifted off there.....  Cheesy  my comment was going to be..... I do not have sat nav....  Roll eyes  I am blessed with a system of my own,    Smiley  When asked how do you know where to go,    I reply,  " I use my HAT NAV".....  Grin  "What`s that?"      "Oh its in my Head And Thats how I Nav....."  Grin    Or  if I (rarely) take a wrong turn  "Its my Here And There Nav...." Grin Cheesy
James
Grafter

With my uncanny knack of getting lost (when walking) I should probably get myself sat nav Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

"the old ones are the best"...Great climate, wonderful scenery, trouble is the French live there.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
With my uncanny knack of getting lost (when walking) I should probably get myself sat nav Smiley

I think you can get it with the latest phones ?
I saw a bloke, yesterday,  in a car parked opposite me, in a carpark, kept poking this little black box with a pen or something, (I think he was trying to use his satnav) Perhaps he was trying to find his way out of the carpark... I watched him for about 15 to 20 minutes, then my missus came out of the shop, and we left..... he was still poking the box with his stick! Grin Grin Grin
nadger
Rising Star

Quite a few phones now have built in gps - I built my own using a Lobster 700TV that I got mega cheap from Virgin. It runs Windoze Mobile so I bought a bluetooth gps receiver and 1Gb micro sd card. Installed TomTom and it works quite well.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
I'll admit to being a Francophile but the current SeaFrance strike could change things. Angry
Used Tesco vouchers to get a cheap trip thro' Channel Tunnel on 18th March but M20 is full of HGVs parked up due to Operation Stack
Twenty odd years of running a sameday courier service means I can plan another route easily - this is where maps beat sat nav  Smiley
This strike has so far lasted over ten days so you'd think that some form of resolution was in sight but NON Sad

Yep, like them or loathe them the one thing the French do well is get their point across by mass action.  We even copied their lead a few years ago when our drivers forced Blair and his gang of thieves to reverse a petrol tax increase.
Community Veteran

Yep, like them or loathe them the one thing the French do well is get their point across by mass action.  We even copied their lead a few years ago when our drivers forced Blair and his gang of thieves to reverse a petrol tax increase.

But I doubt if it will happen again..... Undecided Cry Undecided  And be prepared........another 2p a litre going on next budget. Shocked  Cry  Shocked  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter

But I doubt if it will happen again..... Undecided Cry Undecided  And be prepared........another 2p a litre going on next budget. Shocked  Cry  Shocked  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry

I would imagine it will be just one of many ways they find to get their greedy hands into our pockets Wink
We need an election!!
nadger
Rising Star

I also noticed Kent Police website giving details - if it's not over we'll be up early on 18th as detours may be needed.
Just think if SWMBO had followed my example and stopped smoking 20 years ago we could cancel the trip  Sad
Community Veteran

No election has ever reversed the previous governments efforts to raise the necessary money for the coffers..... all they (the other parties) do is "promise" that they will re-arrange it so it doesn`t seem so bad, so they can get into the offices where they spend our money on their own way of life, pretending at the same time to be "on our side"..........
Hey! where`s all this hefty political stuff coming from............ thought that was for sunday dinner time television programs, when everybody is down the pub discussing yesterdays football, which of course is much more important to the man in the street (pub) smoking his expensive cancer sticks.......

Oh,  shut up shutter........!!!  Lips are sealed  Embarrassed Lips are sealed Embarrassed Lips are sealed Embarrassed Lips are sealed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/7285140.stm for story and Pics

What about the other operators on the Dover - Calais route such as P&O?  Are they able to operate or is the port of Calais blockaded?
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
to  see a video visit  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/kent/7285140.stm

I wouldn`t waste my bandwidth on something like that.. Roll eyes