Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know the feeling!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

I know the feeling!

Wink

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-kent-43503116/kingsnorth-power-station-chimney-reduced-to-ru...

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
12 REPLIES
Fixes: 168

Re: I know the feeling!

I like this one:

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Even more amazing. Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

For a moment there @Mav it looked like Iron Man!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I suppose it was okay, not a patch on Fred Dibnah's chimney toppling antics though, he knew how to make a spectacle of bring them down... Smiley

Community Veteran

@7up wrote:

looked like Iron Man

Yes it really did.Smiley

Surprised me.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@twocvbloke

Loved those programmes showing chimneys coming down, and what a character. The thing is I have mixed feelings in retrospect as he was responsible for bringing down a lot of this countries industrial heritage.

Ah well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qm78MUlz38

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

I wonder if they have to pay to get these chimneys and old buildings demolished ?

Think about it, if you go to one of these reclamation yards they are full of old stuff that can cost a fortune if you want to buy it.

Almost anything can be reused, even old bricks, I suspect Accrington bricks made over a 100 years ago are as good if not better than some of the stuff made today.

If you have a few hours to spare have a wander around one of these yards, I guess you will remember stuff from years ago.

Back to the question do they pay for demolition and carting the stuff off ? Note the word,'Old' not much call for some of the modern stuff that gets demolished these days.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

In some cases I don't think they do. Some building especially steel structures are bought for their immense scrap value same as ships although I'm sure in some cases it's a case of 'double bubble' and they paid for knocking it down, carting it away - and when they sell it on!. I do know of drivers being stopped from carting away scrap from sites they have demolished or disassembled because it was not owned by them or theirs to take and they had to turn around and unload the lot. 

Had a plumber about to cart away my old copper water cylinder I was going to sell as scrap. Told me it was his as it was priced into the job - guess what I told him. Knuppel

PS. You know when you are getting old when you walk around an antique shop and say "we used to have one of those!"

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Somebody tried that with my nan when she had a copper boiler left over from a heating upgrade. She wasn't one to be messed with and demanded it back before she involved the police. Needless to say it remained on the property lol.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Jonpe
All Star
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Had a plumber about to cart away my old copper water cylinder I was going to sell as scrap. Told me it was his as it was priced into the job - guess what I told him. Knuppel

Like dentists keeping the gold fillings they remove, or are they required to return them to the NHS if they were fitted under the NHS (yes, years ago the NHS would pay for real yellow gold fillings if clinically indicated!)?

I suppose it wouldn't be very romantic to have your gold fillings melted down and made into a ring for your intended, or perhaps that's what dentists do with the ones they remove.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Or after we have been cremated? Wink

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Or after we have been cremated? Wink

PS. Just asked the Mrs and she tells me the dentist should offer them back. Hers did anyway.