Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I know it's the Daily Mail - but really - two fingers to you

15 REPLIES
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Re: I know it's the Daily Mail - but really - two fingers to you

Sounds like a can of worms.
I tried to send the District Council a message asking if it was true.
There seems to be a problem with their website.
Their tele. number is 08453313131.
They are not open until Monday morning.
Midville
Grafter

This is getting really silly now! They need a reality check  Shocked
Community Veteran

What are things coming to?  I can think of another 2 finger test that should be given to this council Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I really think sometimes when there are reports of this kind of thing, that we're hearing only one side of the story, and that there is quite often a particular reason why certain residents in certain areas are getting publicity for this kind of thing. Just maybe (and I'm not defending councils in this) there is some history that we're not being told...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Using Google I found this http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=163490&command=displayContent&sourceNode=163316&c...
The council denied there was an official two-finger policy but admitted the test was used by its binmen as a way of determining the weight of each bin.
The council said heavy bins posed a safety threat because they could break the collection truck's hydraulic lifting system, or fall off while being emptied.
Spokeswoman Nicole Smith said: "Focsa, our waste contractors, are unable to empty wheeled bins that are too heavy due to the safety risk of the bin falling from the vehicle's lifting gear during emptying.
"If at anytime a bin is considered by the operatives to be overloaded, a sticker will be placed on the lid letting the residents know that they have been unable to take the bin.
"If any resident has had a heavy sticker left on the bin then they will be required to remove some of the contents."
A case of contracted out to the cheapest bidder who uses inadequate, under designed and lowest cost equipment.
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Perhaps petlew is correct,
I followed oldJim's link to the Bath Chronicle and was able to add a reader's comment suggesting that the Council Leader is the best person to tell us what the situation is.
I guess you could do the same if you felt like it.
Fixes: 47

I was considering writing out a cheque to my local council to pay my council tax but I could get RSI so thought better of it. Roll eyes
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Denzil
Grafter

<a href="http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/">This</a> illustrates how much truth there is in most of these stories Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The HSA say it is a myth, but I can quote as Fact that a lot of these cases exist, or is it Jobs Worth?
Two Councils in my area banned hanging baskets - they might fall on people.
Some Shools in this area have stopped first aid.
Colchester and another one this year stopped their own workers putting up Decorations, gave it to contractors, and the lights fell down
Schools will not let any containers that have held food be used in art, you can use towel, but not toilet tubes

So It is definitely not a myth, it does happen
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
I was considering writing out a cheque to my local council to pay my council tax but I could get RSI so thought better of it. Roll eyes

LOL Thats very good!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

....and how about the loony left council in Harringey.  They've banned cuddly toys from the front of dustcarts because 'children might run into the road to grab them'.
jmd
Grafter

When I was working in JobCentre we had security guards but they were not allowed to touch anyone who was creating a problem[for example throwing computer off desk or assaulting a member of staff] - in case they hurt them!
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
The HSA say it is a myth, but I can quote as Fact that a lot of these cases exist, or is it Jobs Worth?

In a word, yes. There is no denying these things happen, I think the point the HSE are making is that a lot of these decisions are made by paranoid local officials who then blame the HSE. The process of Risk Assessment doesn't mean you have to stop doing anything that carries a slight risk, just that you take reasonable measures to keep the risk to a minimum. Trouble is, a lot of people don't seem to understand that risk is not black and white; this is dangerous, that is safe.
How many people, for example, worry about bird flu or MMR vaccines but think nothing of smoking or driving? Nine people are killed on our roads every day, yet nobody is banning cars. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

And what do the councils think will happen when they try to save money by making collections fortnightly.
That'll mean less rubbish to collect Roll eyes