Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just realised I am a criminal - and will probably go to jail if I get caught

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I just realised I am a criminal - and will probably go to jail if I get caught

Reading this BBC Report
The Sentencing Guidelines Council has told magistrates that in the current climate of concern over knife crime, sentences should be much tougher.
The original guidelines, due to come into effect on Monday in England and Wales, had been criticised by politicians for being too lenient.
First-time offenders could now face about 12 weeks in prison.
Before the changes, the starting point when sentencing for possessing a knife in a public place was a community sentence or fine.
British Knife Collectors Guild
What You Can Carry ...
The Criminal Justice Act (198Cool says that you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding. That means no fixed blade knives. But use your loaf - a knife has no place at a football match, in a pub, nightclub or school and becomes an offensive weapon in these circumstances in just the same way as a screwdriver, or any other innanimate tool.
But I NEED a Bigger Knife ...
If you wish to carry a larger knife then you must have 'reasonable cause'. That means that you must be able to prove that you had a genuine reason for carrying the knife.
You may carry a larger cutting tool if it is associated with your work (for instance a chef may carry a 9.0" butchers knife roll to and from work), or if it is associated with your sport, (for instance a fisherman may carry a 6.0" fillet knife, or a hunter may carry a 4.0" fixed blade hunting knife).
Don't forget it's there though. If you stop off in Tesco's for a can of beans on your way home take the knife off of your belt and lock it in your glove box, or your local Bobby will be unimpressed at your excuses. When transporting a knife by car keep it locked away in the glove box or securely stored in the boot of the vehicle. Do not slip it into the door side-pocket, under your seat or in a centre console, this is a dangerous practice, and if stopped by the Police this gives the impression of keeping the knife close to hand.

Now to the reason for the subject - my old and trusty gardening knife, which I often leave in my pocket has a pointed blade 3.25 inches long  Sad
3 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: I just realised I am a criminal - and will probably go to jail if I get caught

a chef may carry a 9.0" butchers knife roll to and from work

"I just popped in for a pint on my way home from work Officer" Roll eyes
"Where do you work son"....
"KFC officer"
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Re: I just realised I am a criminal - and will probably go to jail if I get caught

I am in trouble as I always have my Samuria Sword tools of the trade.
Once again things are getting out of hand yes we want to stop knife crime but we are getting silly about it.
I was on jury service  a couple of weeks ago and you get searched going in and have to go pass  the scanner.
What do you think they took off me and wouldnt let me in court with? A bomb , knife, gun ?
No a very small normal torch on my key ring, they said there was no way I could go into court with that as I may shine it in someones eyes. Ow my God.
I walked past the scanner with a belt and watch with all metal bracelet on with no problems
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Just as well that I've just sold my motor caravan then! For the past eight years I have been driving around with a 5 inch knife in the (unsecured) cutlery drawer - and my only intent was to prepare food for cooking.
But of course it's much easier to measure the size of the blade than prove intent  Roll eyes
Cliff