cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I just have to get this out

robert25174

I just have to get this out

I am new to plusnet, i moved here because (not naming any companies) my last ISP was hacked about a year ago, and many of the customers details were stolen(including my own), I have received many(about 3 a day) phone calls from scammers. the lastest one was today, and i decided to have a bit of fun. here is how the call went.

Scammer: hello, my name is David(yet had a strong Indian accent), I'm calling from **** ****, 

Me, Oh really?

Scammer:yes, it has come to our attention that you need a new router, due to a problem on the line

Me:can I ask you 1 question?

Scammer:yes go ahead

Me: can you tell me why I know this is a scam call?

Scammer: I can tell you why it is not a scam call, I am calling from **** *****, and I have your account number, we are the only ones in the world that have your account number.

Me: Now that's not true, because about a year ago, **** ****, was hacked and many details were stolen

Scammer: yes, but that was suspended in October

Me: I'll tell you why this is a scam call, I am no longer with **** ****

Scammer: why didn't you say that at the start instead of asking questions, you ^(*&(*&*&(*&, &(*&(&(*&(, (*(*               (he started to get abusive), I'm hanging up now, 

I would like to know if anyone else experienced this

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: I just have to get this out

You should have told him you were waiting for an incoming call and could he call back on a different number - then give him the number of the local police station!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Oh you got an internet police call!!! I love those.. they're so much fun!

Mine call goes along with it all completely... I don't actually do any of the stuff they say.. but i'll tell them I am... including saying yes to the make belief "You need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect"... to which they'll usually shout "No sir".... "Oh... sorry i've already clicked yes..."    and that keeps them on the line for another 5 minutes while my very slow PC reboots - so obviously i'm grateful for them calling because they can help to speed it up again Funny

Oh and thats after we've struggled to identify which computer is affected (always the windows one). I always struggle with this as there are so many - windows, linux, BeOS, android... that stumps them for a while and of course windows has so many variants - 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10... not that we actually have all those machines but they don't know that Cheesy

I think I kept one on the line for around 40 minutes before they twigged that i was wasting their time hehehe

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just tell them you would be happy to invest but your accountant deals with all financial stuff but if they want to phone him on the following number mentioning your (false) name and giving approval for an investment with the accountant deciding on the sum of money for investment.

Then give them the fraudline number.

If you are short of time, say nothing but leave the phone off the hook for a few minutes, then hang up.

Just out of interest do BT have a system where you can ask them to block specific calls on the grounds of harasment ?

robert25174

I have done the (i believe them) follow what they say trick once or twice, but as i said 3-4 phone calls a day, it would be like a full time job, so i hold them up for 5-10 minutes at most

robert25174

the company in question did offer to block all with held numbers, but i have friends with with held numbers and the scammers use a program that generates a false number to show up, BT is not the company in question

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

robert25174 wrote:

I have done the (i believe them) follow what they say trick once or twice, but as i said 3-4 phone calls a day, it would be like a full time job, so i hold them up for 5-10 minutes at most

You'll find that at 40 minutes per pop and earning nothing, they won't ring you back often.

We had just two calls - the first one I've mentioned, the second one I kept going for 20 minutes. They've not bothered us again since and it's been a good couple of years.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!